Clear all

A not so short story

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Recently, I bought the strat from CNJ in the swap meet forums. I also got a couple of new amps (including the EVJ, which I'm loving so far) over the last few months and have built a few speaker cabs. All the new equipment prompted Sarah to upgrade her bass. Originally she was using an old Rogue bass (nice sound, but a fat neck that she couldn't get around on very well). I've offered to buy one for her before, but she just stuck with the one she had.

So here's the story: we went to the local guitar just to "look around' and she fell in love with the Fender Precision bass. I pony up the dough (you know what they say, "If mama ain't happy....") and bought her a one in black. She absolutely loved it! Well, then she says that the amp she has (an old beater that she's had for a while) just isn't good enough for her Fender. This led to us getting one of the Peavy Transtube bass amps. Now she's taken to playing even more often than before. I think this is great, and that she'll be sticking with these for a long time considering her track record, and the fact that she's a lot more level headed than I am.

This all leads us to the Guitar Center in Dallas. We're actually a few hours out, but decided to take a spur of the moment trip to check it out since neither of us had been there before. I picked up the Epi Valve Jr, and she got the flatwound strings that she had been meaning to try, and we both got some other miscellaneous things. Well, before we checked out, I was back looking at the recording equipment. I thought she was right behind me, but it turns out she was in the bass section. She's already got her next bass picked out! When I went looking for her, she was plugged in to a Bassman, and playing an Epiphone violin body bass (I have no idea what it's called, but I seem to remember it having something to do with Paul McCartney). She tells me about how lightweight it is and how nice it sounds, and hints that she may want something like this for her birthday in a few months.

I've only told the story so that I could tell you all that the Mrs finally has GAS.

The End

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Wow, that's wonderful - this whole developing story sort of GAS!

Yep, I can tell you, those Beatle Bass type basses are cool. I like the Jay Turser version. But then...more strings, picks - just make sure she never ever sees a Vox Super Beatle bass amp.

And for sure, don't let her see any 6x10 bass cabs.

Except...they make great end tables between gigs I hear ;)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A happy ending!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

8)

As long as she doesn't start buying basses to match outfits, you're good! :lol:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Isn't that the definition of marital bliss? When neither spouse can yell at the other about their latest guitar purchase, because they have GAS attacks all their own....

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

8)

As long as she doesn't start buying basses to match outfits, you're good! :lol:

Jason

Well, she has talked about having me and my father (who loves woodworking) modify the body of her Rogue bass and repainting it the same color as her Converse All-Stars. Does that count?

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

OMG that is funny and so cool!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

:) Yeah, that counts!

How's the Strat, BTW? Any of those mods done?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

That a good story. Nice to see some one who isn't going to get in trouble with his wife for buying more gear.

A buddy of mine actually once had a project guitar that was violin shaped, like the Beatle basses. It certainly was an interesting guitar.

I suppose repainting the guitar to match the converse wouldn't be so bad, there is actually an almost vintage rock 'n roll band from here that is sponsered by Converse.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have the graphite nut and output jack installed, but still haven't had time to do anything else. I also have not yet purchased the TexMex pickups, and I was kind of waiting for that before breaking it open.

Too many guitar projects at once. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get this done first, start on Sarah's mods, or attempt to make a neck for my homemade guitar project.....

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Isn't that the definition of marital bliss? When neither spouse can yell at the other about their latest guitar purchase, because they have GAS attacks all their own....

Margaret

so true. when you can do that together and not be embarassed for having GAS. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The family that buys musical instruments together pays credit card bills together. :D

Just joking, it's great to hear of a couple with music as a common interest. Thanks for the great story.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The family that buys musical instruments together pays credit card bills together. :D

Just joking, it's great to hear of a couple with music as a common interest. Thanks for the great story.

Wes

Absolutely!!! I wish my Mrs was more into music....or at least my music....maybe if I taught her a few chords she'd be more interested in what I was doing....but our musical tastes are poles apart - whereas I'm into Beatles , Stones, Who, Led Zep etc, she's more pop-orientated.....Abba, Bee Gees, Neil Sedaka, Drifters etc....about the only music we have in common is a love of 50's R'n'R....Elvis, Jerry Lee, Fats, Little Richard etc....

You know what they say though....the family that plays together, stays together! Although.....it could be fun when the little Gunslingers start to get GAS......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Not little Gunslingers yet, but I'd be thrilled if my kids (when we decide to have some) had the same love for music that I do. I wouldn't even care if they would rather play the drums ;)

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Not little Gunslingers yet, but I'd be thrilled if my kids (when we decide to have some) had the same love for music that I do. I wouldn't even care if they would rather play the drums ;)

Hey, then you'd have a three piece band - guitar, bass & drums! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote