Clear all

A question on lead playing...

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

When playing a solo and say for example there is a bend on fret 19 of the b string and the next note is to play fret 19 of the top e string do I take off my ring finger which did the original bend and fret the e string with it OR do I keep the original position and just tilt the neck/my finger so I effectively play the top e string with the joint of my finger rather than the tip?????

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I would say if you do it that way in an area that requires a great deal of control, you're going to be missing it.

I would be bending the B string with that ring finger, then using the pinky to grab the high E.

Which way are you bending the string? This actually won't be that hard if you're bending towards the center of the neck, rather than towards the edge.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

i would probably bend with my pinky and then fret the E string with my ring finger. i dont know but i feel more comfertable bending with my pinky... but try both ways and do whatever is more comfertable to you. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That way seems far to difficult to me.

I personally would bend it, and then use the joint to play the 19th fret on E, all with the Ring finger. The other way, using the pinky to get the 19th fret of E works too, but I find the joint way to work best for me.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd go with the ring finger for the bend and litle finger for the high e note.

Ther are other songs (like Sultans of Swing) that require a bend on the 11th fret of the B string, a note on the 12th fret of the high E, release of the bend and then a note on the 10th fret of the high E. You can only get that kind of flexibilty when you use other fingers. IMHO, anyway.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

For myself it depends which way I'm going coming into it and which way I'm going after.

Optional fingering:

Option 1: I could bend the Gb (19th,b string) with my index finger and play the B (19th,E string) with my middle finger.

Option 2: I could bend the Gb (19th,b string) with my index finger and play the B (19th,E string) with my ring finger.

Option 3: I could bend the Gb (19th,b string) with my middle finger and play the B (19th,E string) with my ring finger.

Option 4: I could bend the Gb (19th,b string) with my ring finger and play the B (19th,E string) with my pinky finger.

P.Yes -:-.,_,.-> Although they are sold in grocery stores, batteries are not food.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

P.Yes -:-.,_,.-> Although they are sold in grocery stores, batteries are not food.

Joe

nice to know....
but ya I agree with joe. it depends on how you wanna come into it and leave it. it really depemds on the piece and the easiest wa to play the parts before and after it.

ReplyQuote