A simple change

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

While practicing this morning my strap broke. Not the strap itself but the grommit on the end that the cord goes through; I have an acoustic that uses a cord wrapped around by the nut and the other end through a hole in the strap. You know what kind I'm getting at. Anyway, the strap that came with the guitar, the grommit on the end was thin plastic and it tore away. The new strap is the same length with better, leather ends. I wrapped the cord around the neck by the nut a little differently and boy is there a difference I can feel. I don't know what it is, but my chord changes and overall playing is easier and more enjoyable. So all you other noobees, if your having troubles, try a simple change. Lengthen, shorten strap, hold at a different angle ect, until you find what's good for you.

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Talk about a bit of serendipity! It's always amazing how far a little change can go.

In my relatively short time playing the guitar, I've noticed that just messing around and changing random stuff can give some really unexpected results, for better or for worse :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I guess everybody has to find what's right for them. As I've read here, some people say to hold the guitar so the neck is level or pointed slightly up. Someone else prefers wearing the body lower with the neck pointed up 45 degrees. Last week on Public Television I watched a Bruce Springsteen acoustic concert with a bunch of others backing him up including 4 or 5 other guitar players and a Banjo player. Everyone's instrument was at a different angle, and in fact, Bruce's was pointed down about 30 degrees. As a total noobee, I never noticed this before.

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Guitar angle is important. Strings are important, too. sometimes an electric needs slightly heavier strings and an acoustic needs slightly lighter strings. once you change them you can do barres and bends easier.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good that the changes were for the better - nice thing to discover. :)

I also have a strap that ties around by the nut. I found that it felt as if it was slightly cramping my left hand - so I tied the cord around just above the first pair of tuning pegs instead.

The way it sits it doesn't get in the way of the tuning pegs (which was a pleasant surprise) , plus it gives me a little more room at the top fret. In fact it feels like a good fit all round. Good to try different things.

Cheers

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've done this a few times too, as many have, but I've often wondered if wrapping the strap around the nut is bad for the neck?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote