Clear all

A Song for me and my Dad to play

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a song my Dad and I can play together. He wants to play the chords (prefferably with some simple open chords) so I can play the melody, and/or solo. So I'm looking for a song with both of these qualities. Simple chord part with a slightly more diffucult melodic part. Any suggestions?

thanks

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"Father And Son" by Cat Stevens springs immediately to mind - here's a link.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1lgxQV02NWo

And a tab....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/cat_stevens/father_and_son_tab.htm

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

How about Danny Boy? A beautiful song about a father who missed his son who passed away. Beautiful melody, this song always chokes me up.

Here is a nice solo version on You Tube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FsPAXeyzDfU

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Why don't you choose a song you both like?

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

How about Danny Boy? A beautiful song about a father who missed his son who passed away. Beautiful melody, this song always chokes me up.

Here is a nice solo version on You Tube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FsPAXeyzDfU
I agree that Danny Boy is beautiful. I love when my mom plays it on piano.

As biker said...go for a song you both like.

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

We both have similar tastes in music, so agreeing upon a song isnt much of a problem. I just wasnt able to think of a good song off the top of my head that would we could play together with 2 guitars. I havent tried any of the suggestions yet, (I will right after I post this) but me being the more adept guitarist taking lessons and all, I was hoping to find a song with a rather challenging melody/solo, that I could play while my dad plays the chords/sings.

Thanks again.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I would suggest maybe playing some 12 Bar Blues, something that is simple to play with 3 chords. You could play simple things over and he could sing. You could make one up or play a classic.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

but me being the more adept guitarist taking lessons and all, I was hoping to find a song with a rather challenging melody/solo, that I could play while my dad plays the chords/sings.

I'd suggest keeping the challenging stuff for the second song. :) For starters I'd try something that also has a simple melody line. The reason being that Dad might not be able to provide you with a nice even 'backing track' for a while. Depending on if he's had any previous experience of playing with somebody else you might need to be able to adjust your speed to match what he's doing (even if it's wrong), re-start in mid song while you nail bits he's having trouble with, and make all sorts of adjustments to try and match what he's doing without showing him up or frustrating both of you. If you're both stretching a little it will make it harder for both of you. Good luck, sounds like a great thing to do.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd go even further than Chris_C and say, for the first song, use one that only has a very simple strumming pattern. If you're expecting him to sing and play, he'll not be up to doing anything complex. Secondly, by keeping to a simple strum, he'll become used to playing with another player and, so, improve his rhythm and chord changes - apart from building his confidence.

I'd recommend "horse with no name" (or something very similar) - very simple chords, can be played with a straight, uncomplicated strum pattern, it isn't too fast (won't get too lost on chord changes, etc.).

Good luck with teaching him.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alright those are some good suggestions, thanks everyone!

ReplyQuote