Clear all

A sound...?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

In Under the Bridge at Hyde Park by the Chilis, John appears to have some effect on his guitar (as well as many others I'm sure), but there appears this constant wah wah or something that fluctuates the notes up and down just less than every second.

I was wondering if it was indeed a wah wah, or maybe something else?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i dunno. but i wish i knew even one quarter of what john knows on the guitar.

or i wish i knew john......

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i dunno. but i wish i knew even one quarter of what john knows on the guitar.

or i wish i knew john......

I whole heartily agree with all the sentiments above.

I don't even know how to do that thing where his notes deteriorate after he plays them into some sort of distorted sound.

Time playing will help I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i always thought that he has tons of effects pedals but i read somewhere, i think on the RHCP site, that he doesn't use too much of that stuff, at least on the new record. i think he's the most amazing guitarist of his (our) generation.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Sounds like you might be talking about a Flanger, but I can't be sure. With a Wah-pedal, you actually have to move the pedal to change the tone, but a flanger automatically modulates the tone quickly as you play. Here's the best definition I could find for what a flanger does, you can tell us if this might be what you heard:

an audio effect created by varying a slight delay between two identical audio signals that results in a sound similar to a jet airplane taking off or landing.

A flanger is a type of phaser (one with verying delay rates, if that makes sense), so it could also be ajust a phaser. I don't have a copy of that CD to listen to, so I can't say for sure. Probably should pick one up thouh, because John is quite the guitarist!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure what you mean by your question, but I have the CD so I really lístened closely to the guitar on that song. I didn't hear so many effects. The intro is fingerpicked with a clean sound and the first verse is played with a pick, still on the clean channel. For the second verse he goes into slight overdrive. He is probably also using chorus for the song.

I relly can't give a good answer because I don't have any effects (other than reverb), so I don't know what they all sound like.

Everyone that likes the Chili Peppers should pick up the Hyde Park CD. It's a great performance, but the best part is all the jams in between songs. The one after By The Way is just beutiful.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It sounds a little like he had a tremelo unit, set to a pretty fast rate, but with the effect mixed in just a little.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was pretty sure it wasn't a wah, because I doubt that he'd be using a pedal all the time, but I know of automatic ones where you set the time for oscillation.

The noise I'm talking about is best heard in the 2-4 seconds exactly after the song finishes and the last chord rings out with this undulating nature.

As for flanger, it's a very good guess which I hadn't thought about, but now I think about it, a slowly "wobbling" flanger could well be the effect. Thanks.

I honestly love Under the Bridge, and out of all the vast amounts of music I've heard, this still retains it's hard-hitting power.

ReplyQuote