Skip to content
A Thousand $ Well S...

Notifications
Clear all

A Thousand $ Well Spent? Amp + Accs + Pickups + Stufff...

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In my move to the electric side of guitar :)
So can you rate my purchase for electric guitar.... from 1-10.

Remember, I needed to buy alot of Misc. stuff because this is my first pure electric guitar.

Anything you think I should add? Return? I hope the amp fits my style of rock and punk!

Jet

------------ MIM Stratocaster $ 370 (excluded in the end price) -------

------------------Misc Straps, Pickguard, Stand-----------------------------

1 LEVYS SOFT SUEDE WITH BLACK LEATHER TAN KC : 24.99
1 FENDER PEARL TREMOLO COVER PEARL WHT KC : 16.99
1 FENDER AMERICAN STD STRAT PICKGUARD WHITE PRL : 35.99
1 MC S-100 INSTRUMENT CABLE ANGLED 12 FT : 19.95
1 FENDER PATCHWORK GTR STRP GREEN RED STAR : 11.99
1 FENDER DELUXE EFFECTS GIG BAG KC : 0.00
1 Pinnakle Triple Guitar Stand : $16.19

------------------- Pickups ---------------------------

Super Distortion S (DP218) in the bridge position, : $60
a Pro Track (DP188) in the neck position and a : $60
Fast Track 1 (DP181) in the middle : $60

-------------- Locking Tuners -------------------

Machine Head Set Chrome Locking Tuners : $59.95

--------------- Amp -------------------------

1 FENDER HOT ROD DELUXE BLACK KC : $ 599.99

-------------- Peddle -------------------------------

1 BOSS SD-1 SUPER OVERDRIVE KC : $ 49.99

------------- Headphones ------------------

1 Grado Sr 125 : $ 150
1 Grado Cable Extension : $ 40
1 Grado Cable Mini Adapter: $30

---------- Total of $ 1,238.03 -----------------

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I'm not sure I would've bought the pickups right off the bat (unless you were pretty unsatisified by the stock ones?) or the headphones. That being siad, you probably would've bought all this stuff eventually, so assuming you stick with electric, and had the cash, there's no reason to not buy all this stuff that you will need. I'd rate this purchase at a 7 w/o any sound clips because of MO on the pickups.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I would agree with jason why buy a guitar you dont like the sound of?

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Looks to me like you did your research. Most people complain about the pups in the MIM Fender's. The only thing though, is that with the money you spent on pups added to the price of the MIM strat, you could have possibly found a used MIA Strat which wouldn't require the upgraded pups (and electronics eventually). Heck, sometimes you can find a good deal on a new one which wouldn't cost too much more. Regardless, it sounds like you did good! Enjoy it!

I think you'll like that amp too. I've read nothing but good things about the Hot Rod Deluxe.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Looks to me like you did your research. Most people complain about the pups in the MIM Fender's. The only thing though, is that with the money you spent on pups added to the price of the MIM strat, you could have possibly found a used MIA Strat which wouldn't require the upgraded pups . . .

It doesn't look to me like you spent anything on shielding the pickups?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

You've mentioned a lot of gear I want! I too question getting the MIM strat but replacing the pickups. Have you looked at the G&L Tribute models? They are very close in price, made in Korea, I think, but have USA made pick-ups just like the American models. The quality of the ones I have played are universally excellent. I am getting a Tribute Tele copy because of that. Gorgeous finsishes, too. Godin guitars are also excellent buys and the quality of pickups is great on them. Might save you some dough, as you wouldn't have to change pickups at all, really. That is, unless you REALLY love the ones you listed. You can get a better quality guitar right now and then when the bank account recovers get pickups then, and have a guitar that is worth thousands yet pay less than half that.

And that is only if you have your heart set on a Strat. Play some ESP's and PRS's. And the Ibanez RG's. I have mentioned this in another thread, but their neck set-ups are way fast and they have the hottest pickups ever. I shred a black RG321 every time I go into the store, and it rips! And only $300 or so, not too shabby. Those brands' stuff in the MIM strat price range is much better, from the models I have played. Especially if you are going to travel to other planets on BLISTERING SHARDS OF METAL!!!!:twisted:

I too have heard awesome things about the Hot Rod Deluxe, but maybe a Marshall would be a good choice? I haven't played through a Hot Rod, and I do like Fender's clean tone better than anything, but at the store Marshall has something going that makes metal so perfect...I still have tons to learn about amps (well, and everything else too), but that has been my observation. Maybe the Fender is more versatile? Dunno...

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

We all know you can buy a guitar cheaper than you can build one for and can buy a newer, upgraded guitar cheaper than breaking one down and building it back up our way.

It is not about the money for people who like projects and making things their own and unique.

New toys are kool. Projects are kool. Enjoy! 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I really wanted to just deck out the guitar. The pickups on it just didn't get the tone I was looking for - they sounded good though.

I'm kind of thinking I should have gone with Seymour Duncan pickups... But i'm sure that these pickups are awesome!

It should arrive here later this week :)

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

you could get some cash back by selling your original pickups on ebay

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

The Duncans are too pricey for me. I bought one used off ebay but yet to hear it. My strat project isn't finished yet.

I am complimenting the duncan with a Carvin twinblade, the Carvins I do like. I have used them before. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Get an EQ pedal. I know Joe (Forrok Star) would recommend that as well.

An EQ pedal allows you to fine tune your tone far better than the standard lows, mids, highs, tone stack on your amp.

An EQ pedal is right in front of you, much easier than walking back to your amp for a tone change, and it is visual. You can hear the changes as you slide the sliders up and down. I dunno, I just feel you can see the changes better with sliders than the knobs on your amp. You will have favorite designs like the scooped Mids "V". Just my opinion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Nice, sounds like you got quite a delivery coming.

Nice headphones too, I have the Grado SR-80's, they sound wonderful, really let you hear the music more clearly.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote