Clear all

£700 to spend on acoustic 40th birthday

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Greetings all, sorry I haven't been around the boards much for a while hope everyone is well and playing some good stuff!

Here's the situation. I am 40 in November, my wife is contributing £500 and my parents might chip in a little too, so I might have £700 - £800 to spend on a nice new guitar.

I am looking for something that will have a bit of a "wow" factor, as you might know i am a Yamaha acoustic fan but I will consider anything at the moment, I have time to pick and choose.

MUST BE A LEFTY
ACOUSTIC / ELECTRO ACOUSTIC ONLY.

I want to know any recommendations in this price range. For those of you outside of the UK think of guitar's around the $1000 mark (I know its not an accurate reflection of exchange rates but guitar's tend to be dearer here anyway).

Please let me have your thoughts!!

cheers

Matt

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've enjoyed the larrivees i've played in that price range.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I recently tried a Yamaha LL6 and was really impressed, they can be had for £400'ish (I think). I have a Taylor 314 which I think is the absolute bees-knees and http://www.coda-music.co.uk/ do those for £899 so a bit of shopping around and haggling and you might get one in budget. I know finding a lefty might be harder though and the 'Taylor' tone might not float your boat.

At the weekend I dropped my Vintage Acoustic into TrebleRock ( http://www.treblerock.co.uk/ ) in Bristol. Simon previously set up my Taylor perfectly so I am getting him to set up the Vintage. Anyway, they have a luthier in there (Tom Waghorn) who builds electro-acoustics to order for around £1300. They had one in there and it played so easily, easier to barre than my Taylor and the sound was incredible. It looked really plain, but sounded fantastic. As you're a lefty and its a special gift, maybe just keep saving and go for a guitar built just for you?

Coda has a decent stock of quality guitars in Stevenage so is worth a visit (not sure where you are). Good luck and enjoy the hunt. My only other advice is take your time and play everything you can get your hands on - but you knew that already.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Takamine---TAN40C---Left-Hand-Guitar~ID~3640.asp

solid cedar top, solid mahogany back, with hardcase

i own 2 takamines and love them both great electronics solid construction. some say that they are a little lacking in the lower frequencys when unplugged but i disagree. i have a very nice acoustic amp (fishman loudbox) and you can mould the sound any way you want.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd say check out some Seagulls. (guitars that is! :lol: )

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Guild has some nice ones, Martin has one that I know of that's about $1000. The Guild is a made in China GAD-30. Try the 15 or 16 series in the Martin.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'll be 40 in 2 weeks...you think your wife and parents can hook me up as well :?:
:D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@presbystrat)
Eminent Member

I'd say check out some Seagulls. (guitars that is! :lol: )

Dan

I second the Seagulls. You should be able to get an Artist series with some nice electronics in that price range. I like Breedloves and Taylors too.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Check out Brook and Fylde and Lowden.

ReplyQuote