Clear all

About Classical Guitar Books

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys can you recommend me a few good books for learning classical guitar.(Not a piece of crap though which just contains how to tune and few songs :? )How about Pumping nylon , or book by noad.Can one really learn classical from books?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Classic guitar technique- Aaron Shearer

Solo guitar playing - Frederick M. Noad

Can you really learn classical from books? Can you really learn guitar itself from just books? Given how classical requires intense technique, i think getting a teacher is the best thing you can do, but the Aaron Shearer book is really good in terms of describing hand positions so it's probably the next best thing besides getting a teacher. The Frederick M. Noad book has alot of info in it as well, both are great investments and with a good teacher and good attitude i'm sure you could learn classical.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The Christopher Parkening books are very good, with plenty of photos and working ideas.

No, I don't think you can teach yourself Classical Guitar completely. You can go a long way on your own, but there are some things where you just need a teacher to grab your fingers and put them somewhere else every now and then. Even Segovia didn't teach himself completely.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I am struggling through classical now and I have both the above with the parkning coming. I also recomend an instructor as I am getting more from lessons even though I have only had one. Lesson cleared up some mistakes and misconsecptions I had.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I've been playing for about a year. Aaron sheerer is really good, and he has different leveled books for each stage of developement. The begginer one is red in colour.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

I've heard good things about pumping nylon as a lot of people follow it with success. I'd highly recommend getting a few lessons from a classical guitar instructor, maybe 6 lessons and just concentrate on form and technique. You want to set yourself up with the proper form in the beginning, especially when it comes to classical guitar.

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Shearer also has a 2 part series on learning the guitar. The 1st is the theory book and the 2nd is the music. "Learning the Classic Guitar part 1 & 2" are the books. Better than his first book as there is more info on form and function.

John M

ReplyQuote