AC/DC tuning

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
17.7 K Views
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How come AC/DC played one semitone higher than standart tuning, in other words they tuned themselves to Eshrp,Ashrp,Dshrp,Gshrp,C,Eshrp.
Why did they tune like that?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I play along to their CDs often. cant keep up but thats another story.
I dont find them playing outside of standard.
mostly in A.
I have found with other band's CDs that the tuning is a half step down Eb.
but to go sharp?
I wonder if it was mastered at the wrong pitch.?

very strange.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Its no big deal.They are doing it , instead of using a capo on the first fret ,that's it.

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member

I know the alot of the back in black record was recorded a quarterstep down-tuned, I read it in an interview once, but I can't remember why.

You also have to remember they didnt have super cool calibrated tuners back then either =).

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

over the years bands have been down tuning. first it was E flat. tehn D where is it now? C tuning I think.

long ago when they tuned down it sounded new and therefore distinctivly cool.
the lowere tning affords lots of string vibration duration. makes the distortion sound better.

I didnt detect Black in Black as being doiwn a half step. nice to know. thnx

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I thought AC/DC always played in standard? Hmmm, interesting.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i did to jason, i always play ac/dc in standard tunning.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

well something is wacky.
I play them in standard. never seen a capo in concert footage.

Ive got to believe that the Esharp thing is an anomoly.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Agree with Ricochet.....take a look at the chords for Sin City, for example....
E, B, D, A and G.....
play those as barres in dropped tuning, you'll be all over the place....
not to mention the very first note is E, playd on the bottom E string - open.....

it's possible they did it for a couple of songs, but I think, like every other band, the vast majority of their work is in standard EADGBE tuning......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I've always play their songs with A440 tuning. There is a trick of speeding up or slowing down a song when its being mastered which will change the pitch.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I just looked at 36 songs in my AC/DC book. Only 4 were altered tunings

Rocker
Bad Boy Boggie
Get It Hot
It's a Long Way to the Top

and they were tuned DOWN 1/2 step.

I'd be surprised if they really did tune up a half step on any song or play with a capo.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Back in the OLD days, when they mastered stuff, they'd crank the speed up just a tad, not so it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but just a bit. It was a little trick they used to make the final thing feel a little tighter.

Geee, I wonder if anyone still does that or is it mixed exactly as played?

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

over the years bands have been down tuning. first it was E flat. tehn D where is it now? C tuning I think.

Staind plays alot in drop A and I know some local bands who plan in drop A as well, the only problem with that is you need to have a baritone guitar and locking tuners.

It doesn't matter what tuning AC/DC used, they tore it up. The only band that could sound the same on all their songs and still tear it up and make them all seem freash and new. They could do the mary had a little lamb and tear it up! And make you like it too.

I think alot of it had to do with the excellant vocals with Angus style of guitar playing just meshed together so perfect.

Hear an AC/DC Song today, on the radio, and just about anyone is turning it up and trying to sing along.

They where and are a timeless band that wrote timeless songs!

ReplyQuote
(@angus-is-da-man)

AC/DC for the most part is Standard tuning. But "Long Way to the Top" is tuned up to F, so you can play the main intro riff with an (hammer on) A chord.
Also, "Highway to Hell" to tuned down one half step to E flat, try this and you'll find it will sound a liitle more "on". I have an old issue of Guitar World that is an AC/DC special issue, and has tabs and tuning straight from the band. It also has tablature in the back from Angus himself! Showing the right way to play some of their songs, and the wrong way you see in a lot of tabs you find. Not only on the net, but in published books as well.
Angus and Malcom have written some of the greatest and most recognizable guitar riffs ever! And they are fun to play!

"There were 7 million fingers learnin' how to play, and you could here the fingers pickin' and this what they had to say–LET THERE ROCK!"

"There were 7 million fingers learnin' how to play, and you could hear the fingers pickin' and this is what they had to say–LET THERE BE ROCK!"

ReplyQuote
(@gordon2468789)

They tuned up because the bagpipes on Long Way To The Top are tuned to B flat!

ReplyQuote