Clear all

Accoustic shoulder strap and thumb

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I did a search of the forum and could not find a relevent topic, so here goes a new one:

I have an Art and Lutherie accoustic cutaway and have been using it sitting down. I found I was crouching over it and didn't have much mobility. So I just brought a shoulder strap. This is one of the shoelace type so I have tied it around the nut. It is taking a lot of getting used to, as my thumb keeps hitting the lace. My electric does not have this issue, as the strap is attached to the body at both ends.

I could get a body attachment drilled, but I don't think the balance would be right (and I don't like the idea of having holes drilled in my baby).

Is this something you just get used to or is there some secret I am not aware of?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might try something like a quick release: Quick Release link.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Your thumb keeps hitting the lace? How high up is your thumb? It's okay to have it up a bit, but not Richie Havens style. Unless of course you are Richie Havens. Try tying the lace around the headstock up between the first and second tuner. I use the quick release and the Martin button strap thingy...

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/martin-acoustic-strap-hook--MASH-BK.htm

That allows you to use a standard guitar strap, which may or may not improve your problem.

Take a look at you thumb position though, peaking over is good, wrapped over not so good.

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the rapid responses. That quick release doovery looks interesting. I have extended my shoelace a little to get the same effect though, so I don't think it would help. My thumb is not locked solid and moves around a bit depending on the chord. It usually sits from the centre of the neck to the top and will sometimes poke over a little. I try not to choke it though.

I will try tying it between the nuts as suggested.

On ya guys

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

It sounds like you may be holding the neck parallel to the floor. Try angling the neck upwards toward your shoulder.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@combs)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A couple of days ago I moved my lace so that it is tied adjacent to the E tuners. Now it doesn't get in the way at all and I am having fun again. It doesn't look all that neat, but it is out of the way and does not interfere with the tuners.

Thanks again.

P.S. Thanks Denny. Yes I was holding it a little flat. Have now tilted her up a little. It all helps.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A couple of days ago I moved my lace so that it is tied adjacent to the E tuners.

If you re-read above, this is what Nick was suggesting in the midst of his Havens humor.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote