26 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Try using aluminum doors.

My wall doesn't open that way.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

The issues I've had with playing acoustic in my apartment as been the toe tapping...more like foot stomping.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I have a friend in Seattle who bought an isolation cube to play and record in. It's quite a rig!

Ric, are you kidding? If not, that HAS to be some rig. And, what drove him to do that?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I have a friend in Seattle who bought an isolation cube to play and record in. It's quite a rig!

Ric, are you kidding? If not, that HAS to be some rig. And, what drove him to do that?
These are pretty common in Japan especially for horn / wind musicians. You can see some of them on the Ishibashi Music web page. These are essentially rooms within rooms. Some are big enough for a piano.

Amusingly in this picture from that page it looks like dad is hiding out in one of these watching TV.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

I just came across this product for players who have a multi-hole Ovation guitar. It should help to mute the sound.

-- Rob

http://www.lostartvintage.com/mainframe.asp

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

When out firstborn was just a wee lad...we were living most of the time on a sailboat up in our Whitsundays. As a new dad...it was GREAT to have him asleep...and keeping him that way meant that I put most of my balled-up socks in the Epiphone. Sounded like...well, an Epiphone with socks in it...gawd awful...but it sure worked.

Try it! (I mean the socks...not havin' a kid!)

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

When out firstborn was just a wee lad...we were living most of the time on a sailboat up in our Whitsundays. As a new dad...it was GREAT to have him asleep...and keeping him that way meant that I put most of my balled-up socks in the Epiphone. Sounded like...well, an Epiphone with socks in it...gawd awful...but it sure worked.

Try it! (I mean the socks...not havin' a kid!)

Cat

Episocks ? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I'm glad this came up because the only time I have to myself is when my one year old daughter is asleep and she is a very light sleeper in a very small house. I haven't been practicing at all using a pick because I don't want her to wake up but as a result of no practice I really can't strum very well at all now. Using my fingers just isn't working.
So, I'll have to try socks or one of those sound hole plugs. I had no idea they made those. Thanks!

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I find that there is a huge difference in volume between playing with a pick and playing with your fingers. You can strum with just your thumb and index fingers instead of using the pick. So, in addition to any mechanical damping, you may want to try this as well.

Just what i was going to say! When it's late (10pm or so) I'll just play with the fingers (no pick) and it's fun!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If stopping the sound holes and/or packing the body isn't adequate or very inconvenient, a lot of the volume (and sustain) can be killed by putting a damper under the strings near the bridge. Some foam or rolled cloth will do the trick.

BTW, stuffing a hollowbody with rolled socks is a time honored anti-feedback trick, esp among jazzers.

-=Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

So, I'll have to try socks or one of those sound hole plugs. I had no idea they made those. Thanks!

Yep...I tried EVERYTHING...and the socks worked the best. Hard to believe he's in university now studying Digital Recording Engineering. (Isn't THAT weird???)

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2