Clear all

Acoustic Guitar Stands

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I've come to realize I really need a guitar stand, and they arn't expensive at all it seems, but there's a bunch of different types and isntead of buying one of each over the years I figured I could just ask what style you guys like. I'd prefer a fold up travel style since I move my acoustic about quite a bit.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I prefer the welded tubular ones for all guitars - there's no fear that the stand will collapse on stage. They're pretty easy to transport, since the U-piece that supports the base pulls out, and the part that supports the neck usually folds down on a pivot - so the welded bottom slips easily along the side of a seat in the van and the whole thing lies fairly flat; I just put it on top of a speaker, and toss the U piece in with the cords and music.

On the top, the spring loaded ones are a bit easier to use than the ones with the thick rubber lock for holding the neck.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

I got a very small, collapsible stand from Guitar Center made by Fender. It came with its own little bag and everything. It supports the bottom of the guitar and then has a little T that comes up nearly to the top of the body of the guitar in back instead of the stand U that cups the back of the neck.

What's great is that it's small and you can fold it up and throw it in a gig bag easily. Personally I find it easier for my electric though since the pegs at the bottom are short for an electric. I have to set the acoustice in it pretty deliberately and I wouldn't trust it in a high traffic area.

Tom

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

im with noatboat...i have one called a flip-it...not sure who mahes it but its neat it has a spring loaded thinga-ma-bob to lock your guitar in..plus they come in all the colors and patterns to match you guitar..i prefr the purple but i have a black one too..you can get zebra lepeard all sorts..they are around 21.99 to maby 25.99 theys a rough guestamnet...dont hold me to it

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'll put in a word for Ultimate brand stands. I've used them for years with good results: no tipping, slippage or damage to body/neck by the foam and rubber padding. There are several models: hanging-by-neck, sitting-on-pegs (good for acoutics) and mini-no-neck-support. I have several of the first two types. The "no damage from the padding" is important. Some grades/types of surgical tubing found on less expensive stands will damage or discolor guitar finishes. The natural color stuff seems to be the biggest offender.

This the hang-by-neck version:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_id/53145/src ="00631"

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I use this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/452008/

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I use this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/452008/
I like that better than the ones I have. Mine look just like that but the lock is a big rubber band and I paid $9 for each. However, the legs are pretty long so it is pretty stable.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The thing I like about it is that the lock is spring loaded and has a pin to lock it open or closed. And it's about as stable as something like it could be. I can't believe they are selling it for $4.99, I payed $9.99 over a year ago.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i use a multiple guitar stand called the Multiple RockStands by Warwick. they have all different sizes and the one i have now holds 3 electrics and an acoustic. or you could fit 6 electrics, or just 3 acoustics. they are made out of square tubing with nice thick foam padding

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Matt:

I have two single Hercules guitar stands: (and am going to buy a third shortly) (about $35 Cdn each)

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/floorstands.html

It has an Auto Grab Yoke System, which is springloaded, and holds the guitar by the neck at the headstock. It's adjustable, and very durable. I have an acoustic on one, and a heavy mahogany electric on the other. No problems with stability or with any effects on the guitar. I can't vouch for the stability of the multi guitar stands by Hercules.

I don't move my guitar much, so portability may be an issue. If you can live with a collapsed size of about 24-30 inches, I recommend Hercules. Also, mine didn't come with a carrying bag...

They are also available at my local Long and McQuade in BC; probably also in Ontario.

~ghost~

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Id say get a transportable wall and just put a wall hanger up on there (guitars on wall hangers look awesome!).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

Im not sure about this but dont you have to be careful about rubber against the finish on your guitar? You dont want something that cost you £10 damaging your beautiful top quality accoustic friend.

ReplyQuote