Acoustic Guitar Strings

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 JKHC
(@jkhc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have recently purchased a new acoustic guitar, and the stock strings aren't too good. Problem is,I have never changed the strings on any of my guitars because my electric was used and new strings(don't know brand or gauge) were installed on it and the stocks on my bass were very good.

How do I go about deciding what type of strings to get?

When we started the band, it was because we were waiting for a sound that never happened. We got tired of waiting, and we decided to just do it ourselves. - Mike Shinoda

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First thing is to find out what is, currently, on. Not the brand, but the the gauge. Once you know that, you can decide whether you want a lighter string or a heavier one.

As for make, you can't go wrong with any of the major brands. I have Martin and am happy with them.

As for your electrics, you should be changing strings on a fairly regular basis, bass less often. Strings suffer from the effects of climate and acidic bodily excretions and need to be changed. If you can no longer intonate the guitar, the strings are long overdue for a change.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I love the feel and sound of bronze phosphor strings. I always make sure that I use the gauge that the manufacturer recommends.
in my case Martin.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 JKHC
(@jkhc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advise, but I just went with Elixir Mediums with Polyweb coating. I must remember not to use those next time because they sound too bassy with a dreadnought that resondates alot.

When we started the band, it was because we were waiting for a sound that never happened. We got tired of waiting, and we decided to just do it ourselves. - Mike Shinoda

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I change my strings last week. I put Martin (the previous set was Martin, too). This time I put "silk&steel", I like that feeling (I also used the GHS equivalents). The old Martin set was bronze phosphor.

Probably, gauge and material are most important than the brand. I use 11 in the acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well brand does matter IMHO. I found a clearance sale on some of those strings that target sells. Figure what the heck... cheap enough, might be good to toss on a junker project guatar to test it out. Well I put one set on my normal everyday accustic, and HATE THEM!!! They were... 'OK" for the first week or so, but now after about a month they are sounding real dead. Dont keep tune at ALL, and the D and G string are pretty much totaly dead. So the other packs will sit in the parts box just to use for the junk stuff to test, and we will never be buying any more!!!!! Back to DR's for me!!! Ive had the best luck with them.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't like the coating. after a few weeks it tends to shred and feel rough.

however, give them a few days to break in and the bassiness won't be so bad.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Google found this for me recently. It has some reasonable general information about which strings, gauges, etc are good to use for different types of guitar and various styles of music. I'm no expert but it looked like a useful introduction to some of the many possibilities:

Guitar String Guide

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

i don't like the coating. after a few weeks it tends to shred and feel rough.

however, give them a few days to break in and the bassiness won't be so bad.

There are different coatings out there so don't write off coated strings if you don't like one of them. I tried the Elixirs and hated them. They felt way too slippery and it felt like my fingers were always in danger of falling off the strings. I tried the D'Addario EXP and they were just as good as regular non-coated but they lasted a very long time. The only real downside for some might be if they like the really bright sound of new strings that normally wears off after about 2-4 hours of playing. The coated strings sound like they've had 2-4 hours of playing right out of the packet but they keep that 2-4 hours of playing sound for a long time afterwards.

As an aside, I recently tried the new EXP for electrics and I'm really liking them. I got maybe 75% more life out of them than the D'Addario non-coated (XL). Again with that first 2-4 hours of brightness gone from the start but keeping that sound much longer.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i actually bought the cryogenic strings once. those things lasted forever. i just use the cheapies these days and leave them on until tuning becomes a problem.

ReplyQuote