Skip to content
Acoustic players on...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic players only - when you started playing....

38 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What did you want to achieve?

For instance did you want to be the next Jimi Hendrix

OR

Did you just want the satisfaction of learning to play an instrument

OR

Did you want to be able to have a strum with freinds and a sing song round the camp fire?

What were YOUR aims?

Thanks

Matt

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Just wanted to play guitar and hopefully have a great time with friends playing the songs we love wherever and whenever.

Cheers,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks Chris.

Next? Come on, roll up...

No answer too dumb, just want the truth.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I wanted an electric but it was too much money for me to lay out at the time. The G.A.S. took over and I've purchased more and more stuff to support the habit, but I STILL dont own an electric.

I figured that since I like country and folk type music, that an acoustic would be best.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

Although I have influences, I didn't want to be the next anybody. Just to play around the campfire in the summer and for my family is what I want to achieve.

Lately I'v ebeen focusing on the theory more so I can train my ear to play anything.

That's about it!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I just wanted to learn the instrument and thought it would help me understand better the music I'd grown up with and loved. Music, understanding and enlightenment were my goals! :wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I wanted to be able to play my favourite songs....later, I wanted to be able to record my own songs.....

Still do and still do!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Matt,

Since I don't own an acoustic I guess I shouldn't be responding but the reasons I choose to play are:

1.) To play with my daughters who all can sing quite well and the oldest writes and plays her own music.

2.) Play all the songs I love listening too

3.) Jam with my buddies

4.) Although playing "out" was never a goal at first. I definitely would like to do this, if not in a band then maybe some open mics. Since I don't sing I could never be a solo act so in order to play some open mics I'd need a few other musicians.

5.) Did I mention girls?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I had all this extra money to spend and I thought if I just bought 15-20 guitars I wouldn't have to worry about what to do with it.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nick :lol:

You said it. My house isn't big enough to fit all your guitars in!

Great reply.

Matt

Keep em coming please folks

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I was drooling over electrics...but at that time they were abit too expensive. I really wanted to join a hardcore band, and go psycho on stage in front of drunk screaming people.
:twisted:

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

My musical journey is summed up elsewhere on these forums (but I'm too lazy to find a link :( )
I bought an electric first ("later" in life) but soon purchased an acoustic to help build hand strength quicker. As it turned out, I enjoy playing the acoustic a lot more. I'd say my goals fall between:
"Did you just want the satisfaction of learning to play an instrument

OR

Did you want to be able to have a strum with freinds and a sing song round the camp fire?"

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I have three words for you:

Chicks dig guitars.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a guitar never got me a chick.
but that wasnt why I began playing.

reasons: to learn an instrument to allow me to join a band to play out in front of people.

so it came to be.

now I gather instruments because my passion for music has grown so much.
to play the eastern things I hear I bought an oud. then got an electric one made for me in Turkey.
then I rediscovered Americana and began slide playing. so a National resonator is on it's way now.

I would have never thought that I would be where I am now when I began playing my crummy beater hand me down no name high action piece of crap acoustic. that was about forty years ago.

I wish I could quit my day job, but then I couldnt satisfy my GAS.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dogbite,

You just killed my dream with your first statement..

Thinks out loud..."Maybe a motorcycle?"

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3