Clear all

Acoustic questions

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@moonshine)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've learned to play on an electric over the past 2 years but recently decided that I also like and could use the sound of an acoustic from time to time. I would like to venture into the acoustic world and am starting to hint around for a Father's Day gift. Unfortunately our budget is not all that great and I have several questions that I hope can be answered.

1. Since I'm used to an electric would it be easier to play a Grand Concert body style acoustic http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Grand-Concert-Cutaway-AcousticElectric?sku=519196 as opposed to the larger Dreadnought style? I'm comparing Rogue brand acoustic/electric body styles - my budget will only allow a cheapo guitar at this time. In the future I would pass this on to my kids to beat around on when I am able to upgrade to something much nicer.

2. Would I be upgrading the quality of the guitar by a lot by going with the Washburn D100DL http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-D100DL-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Gig-Bag?sku=513382 instead of either of the Rogues above? This looks like a beautiful guitar, especially for the price range. Besides price, my reasoning for thinking about the Rogues is the electric acoustic aspect. I occasionally play along in a very casual group where I would need to plug into a recording mixer/PA. Is it a pain to mic. up something like the Washburn? It's so easy with my electric to plug right into the system and strum right along. But if that Washburn is that much better quality then I'd go that route since the rebate puts it inline with the Rogue price.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Without actually seeing the guitars, I would go with the Washburn:

* Washburn quality generally is good. Rogue is pretty iffy. Note the ratio of good to bad reviews of each. My personal experience with Rogues in GC has rarely been good.
* No electronics -- the $$ are going into the guitar itself instead of bells 'n' whistles. You can always add a soundhole pickup later. These go for as little as $20 to $40 and can be moved to your next guitar (which shouldn't contain electornics for the very same reason.)
* Flat neck profile may better suit you
* Both are undoubtedly laminated tops (no mention of "solid top" and price indicate)-- so no one wins on that. But I'd be willing to give the mahogany lam-top a try.

Shape and size of guitar body do not really determine the playability, unless you have trouble holding the guitar. Ease of play will be detemined by scale length (distance nut to bridge, longer is more difficult), string gauge, string type and setup. You cannot change the scale on a given guitar, but can choose strings and setup. The rudiments of a proper setup: nut height, bridge height and neck relief (truss rod) are not too expensive to adjust. More advanced setup might include fret leveling and fret edge filing. If a new guitar in this price range has funky fretwork, return it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Rogue is MusiciansFriends "house brand"
these guitars are made in the same factories in asia that make many of the other starter level guitars branded with familiar companys names.
i live near the MF distribution center in KC and have been tempted to pick up a Rogue on many occasions but have always resisted because even tho the price was great , i really didn't need another acoustic or i had already budgeted the money towards something else.
Like all lower priced entry level guitars you get what you pay for, laminated top, sides, back. usually no binding, plastic nut, and saddle.
the low end A/E guitars have sketchy electronics at best.
I would pick the Washburn over the Rogue unless you are able to go thru their stock and spend the time finding a really good one.
Micing an acoustic is commonly prefered by many because it transfers the true acoustic sound much better. however if you spend a bit more money and get better electronics much of the difference can be overcome with a good acoustic amp or a mixer.
i would also look at Yamaha, Takamine, Alverez, Ibanez, Fender, Sammick, and Epiphone.
i own a "folk" style Washburn that i bought for my kids. it sounds great is built like a tank and plays well also.

read this if interested in my adventure dealing with a MF snafu
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36289&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=washburn
(it all worked out great in the end)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@moonshine)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice!
Ahh, I never knew that soundhole pickups were an option. That alone would make me lean to the Washburn.
With my electric I've been practicing some basic setup skills like truss rod adjustment, action height, etc so at least I can mess with it to a degree. I wouldn't be opposed the filing the nut if I had to.
In my budget range I won't be able to look at solid tops, so I've kind of written that off for this particular purchase.
So the last comparison would be dread vs grand concert, but if it really doesn't affect playability then my choice may be obvious. I have strummed a couple times on a dread and just felt the large size as a pretty big difference from my Strat.

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

I've had the Washburn in my shopping cart for a week...

I have no personal experience with the guitar, but I was first turned onto it by a good friend.
He is a HUGE gear snob. Only owns vintage high-ticket gear. I asked him about a 'beach guitar' and without hesitation he said the D100. He owns 4 of them, scattered across the country at all his relatives houses so he always has a guitar to play while traveling. He couldn't say enough good things about the guitar and I respect his opinion quite a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Washburn makes good guitars. I have an electric Washburn that has served me well for many years. Given the two choices, I'd go Washburn hands down. And, as stated before, a soundhole pickup is really simple to use. I use one for my acoustic mandolin.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@moonshine)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I've definitely decided on the Washburn with a sound hole pickup for when i need to "plug in"
Now I just need to decided... black or natural... hmmmm
Plus the fact that I have to wait until Fathers Day to play it :(

btw Twist nice guitar, congrats!!

ReplyQuote