Clear all

Acoustic solo's

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@oliver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anybody knows some cool solo's that are playable on acoustic? I always try to play solo's on my acoustic but it doesn't sound quite well when a lot of bending comes in. Any tips to arrange those solo's?

(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I would say any solo can be played on an acoustic.

Sometimes the bends are too difficult but you can always replace them with a slide and it will sound ok.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Get bending down on acoustic. It is not much harder than on an electric, you just have to get used to it.

However, (and this should have been expected from me) one of my favorite solos is from Layla (Unplugged) by Eric Clapton.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I agree with Taso, anything from the Clapton Unplugged is great. Also the David Gilmour DVD is also fantastic.

While the Clapton DVD is great it doesn't have any DVD extras. But if you have the Unplugged Tab Book you can at least follow along and see what exactly he is doing.

I don't have the Gilmour Tab Book, but the DVD does have some extras where they show close ups of just the major solos from the DVD. This way you can at least view what he is doing.

Just because we're playing on Acoustic Guitars doesn't mean you can't bend or pull-off very well. Just listen to any of David Hodges Lessons and you can hear him playing all the time. The best way to practice Bends and Pull-Offs is too play only bends and pull-offs together for several minutes as warm ups when ever possible.

Try David Hodges Lesson on the Wish You Were Here Intro. Uses both Bends and Pull-Offs.

ReplyQuote
(@oliver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. Those comments helped me alot

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

One I always thought would be cool to learn would be the one on the full version of the Extreme song "More than words".

I'm sure there's probably a fan here who knows more than I, but from what I remember it's a dude named Nino and there's a few runs in there that are just... stellar.

It's been a while since I listened to it though, it might suck... :roll:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Listen to Tim Reynolds, Kaki King, or Justin King. Pretty much everything they do IS solo. They're not extremely popular (Reynolds used to play with Dave Matthews a lot), but they are amazing acoustic players.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Just get used to bending on the acoustic. Maybe change to some other thickness strings for your solo guitar, but it can definatly be done. Tim Reynolds does some insane bending when he plays with Dave Matthews.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@epiphoneisgibson)
Eminent Member

a few beatles songs have acoustic solo that are really easy have bends, pulloffs everything...

happiness is a warm poppy

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

Also the David Gilmour DVD is also fantastic.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on that?

I heard that Gilmour had a DVD, but I've done some asking asking around and no one seems to have heard of a Gilmour DVD.

What kind of DVD is it?

Anyway the man is the reason I started playing guitar.

Cheers.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Just get used to bending on the acoustic.

A couple of replies have said this now, so let's firm up on a quick "how to" to make it easier - when bending, don't forget to bend with the second or third finger and use the first or second finger as extra "muscle". Also, I find students tend to bend by pushing the string with the fingers - a bend should come from rotating the arm, not pushing the strings. So, singers on the strings, fret your starting note...rotate your arm.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Check out these links:

http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/dg/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LI4S/103-9984773-4898248?v=glance

The first link will let you view in Quicktime two full tracks from the DVD.

enjoy

ReplyQuote
(@atomizer2000)

learn the acoustic solo in frank zappa's my guitar wants to kill your mama. Also nine types of industrial pollution, Lather, Sleep Dirt, and Dog Breath Variations have some great acoustic solos. FZ was great...

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

Check out these links:

http://www.pinkfloyd.co.uk/dg/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LI4S/103-9984773-4898248?v=glance

The first link will let you view in Quicktime two full tracks from the DVD.

enjoy

Thanks alot. :D

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@oliver)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Also a cool song
Led zeppelin - white summer black mountain side

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2