Clear all

Acoustic String Guage

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What guage of strings do you all use on your acoustics? I have .12 on mine now, and I find it pretty tough to play.

(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

I had Elixir .012's on mine and was having a real hard time playing it. I just changed them to D'Addario .011's and that has helped a lot. I will probably stick with this size for a while.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I use 10's on mine.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I use 13's on my acoustic.

I had to shave a bit off the low E bridge pin so it would seat properly with these strings.

Using any thing less that .12 just sounds way too thin on my cheap yamaha acoustic.

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

11's. D'Addarios.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of trying a smaller guage. How big a difference is it to go down one level? Is it a very noticeable difference?

Thanks again,

Tony

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

How big a difference is it to go down one level? Is it a very noticeable difference?

difference in what ? feel or tone ?

They get easier to play (esp. bending) as the gauge gets smaller. You will definitely notice a difference going down 1 size, but it's not a HUGE difference.

The tone will depend on the guitar itself... Great sounding guitars sound will sound a bit thinner. Not so great sounding guitars will sound even worse.

Try it and see if you like it. you can always go back

Changing string gauge may require a truss rod adjustment.

Peace
J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was referring mostly to feel. I'm going to talk to my guitar teacher too. Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I use 10s on my acoustic. Most "hard core" acoustic players will tell you that is too light, but I am used to electric strings and thicker strings are too hard for me to play cleanly.

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member

I rock 12-52, 54 ish. They are tought to play sometimes, but I've gained finger strength; it's been worth it. I want to move up to 13s sometime.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Standard "light" 10s on my 12-string.

I have 11s on my folk model, but when I played around with DADGAD tuning I used 13s or hybrid 13/12s. 11s are easier to do barre chords with - that's the only reason I went with that gauge.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote