Clear all

Acoustic Strings..

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Don't Mean to be annoying with yet another strings post but gotta q. I Am as you know of going to purchase that new acoustic on sunday, and I am really deciding on my strings. I dont know litterally ANYTHING about acoustic guitar strings, I am an electric man, As for me, GHS Boomer 10's are beautiful tone and break in great. My dad uses martins on his 8 year old Harmony 100 dollar guitar and thats All im used to. I hate the feel of the martins on his guitar, maybe its the cheap neck, frets, that gives it the ruff thick hard feel but that new acoustic i picked up, whatever was on it was WAY WAY WAY better feel for strings. I swear it felt like GHS Boomer 9's compared to my dads, Martin 15's lol. So please people after all this mumbo jumbo please tell me what your prefrence in acoustic string is, or the string for me should be..... Keep in mind i am looking for soft clean sound slick and thin easy touch strings (im picky) remember i am totally used to elecs so thats why im pointing to that direction. Thanks for any replies. My future type of acoustic playing if it helps: Mainly chords, arpeggios (sp), and just being able to practice my solos that i play on my jackson easily without the jackson and without the bloody cut up fingers. :D
not that theres anything well, wrong with umm bloody cut up fingers but you KNOW. lol

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I use Elixirs myself. I like them. I've recently been using the Phosphor-Bronze nanowebs and like the tone very much indeed.
But as with any strings, you'll need to try out some different strings and find what you like.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm entirely faithfull to Martin's. I buy them off ebay, in bulk. They sound great, don't last a terribly long time, but it dosen't matter, because if you buy them in bulk, its just over a dollar a pack.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Mine came with D Addario custom lights. I liked the way it sounded when I got it and see no reason to change. It seems to me that if you try a bunch of guitars and find one that you really like the sound of, you'd want the same strings that make that sound.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Both my Takamines came with the D'Addario EXPCoated Phosphor Bronze http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Accessories?sku=104339 and i only changed the ones on my 6 string a year after i got it because i broke one.
they are a bit more expensive but i highly recommend them

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

2nd vote for D'addario EXPs.

A bit brighter than Elixirs and last just as long.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

If you really want that slick feel, definitely go for a coated string. I use Elixirs, but I've heard good things about the D'addardio (sp?) EXPs as well.

I just ordered a bunch off of http://www.webstrings.com . Super price. They haven't come in yet, so I can't give you a review of them. I'm sure I'll post my thoughts on them after I break in a set or two.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just use D'Addario EJ16s. I like tone, so I stay away from the coated thingies. I also find if I use something like Fast Fret on my strings - TONE KILLER! I have issues...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Rotosound Country Gold 11's get my vote. Made in the UK. Wound third string. They sound really good and last a good while (phosphor bronze).

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member

i personally like elixir, i use them on every single guitar i have electric or acoustic. i hate changing stirngs personally and those can last me a month. and i also love how bright they sound. i have tried everything else, from martin, boomers, ernie, and these are awsome strings, they do cost more but they are worth it

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

BTW, this thread finally made me look up how to pronouce D'Addario. Answer is at their site in the FAQ, if anyone is interested :D

http://www.daddario.com/DADFaqAnswer.aspx?ID=772

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I just use D'Addario EJ16s. I like tone, so I stay away from the coated thingies. I also find if I use something like Fast Fret on my strings - TONE KILLER! I have issues...

same here.

I use D'Addrio phosphor bronze. mediums I believe.
I used the gauge Martin Guitar Co. rec'd for my Martin.

I like them. not too expensive. bright where you want them and full of bass too.
they break in fast. it's important for me because I hate that too new sound.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote