Clear all

Acoustic Strings

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what people's string preferences are?
I use John Pearse Lights, but everyone has their own taste, and tone, especially because strings do make a huge difference with acoustics...
anyone care to start?

Zacharias Wolf

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

Dogal Live are the best sounding/feeling acoustic strings I've ever used. They're a low tension string - puts less tension on the top and allows it to vibrate/resonate more freely. The low tension also makes it easier to play 'em.

ReplyQuote
(@usaf_chrisa)
Estimable Member

I like Medium gauge Martin strings... but i havent really used anything else so i dont have much to compare them too. All i know is that they sound great

Top 3 albums of all time:
1. Abbey Road
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

As stated in a previous thread, GHS True Mediums.

But as far as pure sound goes with my Seagull, I've never found anything to beat Martin SP's, no matter how much I've tried. D'Add's come in a close second. The only string I just absolutely hated was the Elixirs.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Really? never tried elixirs... hmm
When i first got my guitar they asked what strings I wanted and I said John Pearse, the guy beamed at me, and for some odd reason i get compliments every time I ask for them :?

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I use D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light (12's) cause they're not expensive, they sound fine to my ears and they are easy to find everywhere. And you can trade in the points on the D'Addario packages for cool stuff (Not that I've ever actually done this before)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

D'Addario EXP's lights, right now.

I use to use mediums.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My 12-string Alvarez jumbo came with Elixir Polyweb 10s. I am happy to say they sound great on that guitar and are still bright and chimey after 2+ months - almost too bright. I'm surprised, actually, because I tried Elixir Nanowebs and PBs on my Yamaha and hated them. While I like the Polywebs, I bought a set of DR "Extra Life" PBs, also 10-gauge, to experiment with when the Polywebs finally die.

My new Seagull Folk guitar came with Godin PBs which were incredibly tarnished and heavily shop-worn, yet they sounded great. I believe they were 12s, and I'm 99% sure they are just rebadged D'addario PBs. I have tuned this guitar to DADGAD and put D'addario 13-gauge 85/15s on it. These are okay - nothing special. But they were dirt cheap! Anyway, they are supposed to have the brightness of 80/20s with the longevity of PBs. I don't think they are as bright as other 80/20s I've tried. We'll see how long they last.

However, I think I've finally realized I like PBs better than 80/20s, and since standard 13-gauge strings aren't the best matchup with DADGAD tuning, I've ordered GHS "True Mediums" (both the standard and the Laurence Juber signature cryogenic versions) as well as John Pearse "New Mediums." Both of these are medium-gauge on the B and two E strings, and light gauge on the A, D and G strings. They should be the perfect gauge strings for DADGAD tuning, so I'm just going to compare longevity.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

ive traded in my d'addario points for a hat. super cool.

i vote Martins. i dont like elixirs. we use them on the guitars at school, change them only when they break, so they get fuzzy. i hate guitars at school, that's why i bring my own when i teach a lesson and hide it behind desks in the music room.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

I'm a big fan of DRs

They seem to be slightly hard to come by in Sydney, but you can get them. I've never actually broken a DR string yet, only changed them coz they got old!

ReplyQuote