Skip to content
Ain't Got Them Barr...

Notifications
Clear all

Ain't Got Them Barre Chord Blues No More!

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Bit of a breakthrough here.

Was at Rodders house on Friday night jamming and he pushed me into trying barre chords out again. Mainly because most of the stuff he wanted to jam with had dreaded barres in the tab.

Well I protested and said it wouldn't work so he took me through forming a basic E barre. Wow! it worked no dead strings!! Staggs back in amazement!! Then he got me to work up the neck on each fret and backdown again. It all fell into place. Thanks Rodders from the bottom of my guitar case :D :D :D

I keep practicing them every night and they still work. It will take a while for me to get a song all done in barres but I'll get there.

I still love open chords though.

Thanks again Rod

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

There you go Vic, I told you I'd have him playing barre chords by Christmas, I didn't say which christmas though :lol:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Just need you to pop up to Notts and beat it into me too! ;)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know exactly where your coming from, dogsbody. I tried for ages (talking months here) to get barre chords to ring properly, never even got close, felt like giving up.

then one day they just........worked!

Was suprised I must say, I thought was a fluke, but no, they've worked ever since.

Guess my 'muscle memory' finally got into shape! Now just gotta work on the other muscles......nah.

Pete :)

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Well done :D Is this on acoustic or electric?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

YAY! Congrats on eventually getting there, Chris, and kudos to Master Guru Devadip Yoda Rodders for teaching you the path to true enlightenment!

"Yesterday" is a good song for practising barre chords on.....I find the version in the Complete Beatles songbook is OK, but they tab most of the chords out as open chords....I find it helps if you play them further up the neck.

Congratulations master Dogsbody - you've taken the first step into a bigger universe!!!

Now we'll have to get you playing blues shuffles up and down the neck....heh, we'll have you playing Quo riffs by Xmas!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Dogsbody :D

You will find this to be the case with almost everything on guitar. It will seem real difficult for a while, and then one day it is easy. So, whatever you are trying to learn, just stick with it and it will happen.

Now have some fun with those barre chords!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Congrats on the breakthrough!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great job Chris! :D 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Another Congrats! I myself have been working on Hotel California to switch between minor barres, major barres, and open chords.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Another Congrats! I myself have been working on Hotel California to switch between minor barres, major barres, and open chords.

I would use Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay by doing the verse in open and the chorus in barre chords. But that's all E-shaped and not too much switching back and forth, I'll have to check out Hotel California. Thanks!
Try "Come as You Are" by Nirvana also

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Congrats Chris!

I've been playing 17 months now and still haven't cracked them, although Hotel California is making me give it a good go.

As it happens I will be in Cheltenham this weekend (brothers wedding, near TGI Fridays somewhere on Monday) - maybe you should send me master Rodders address......

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I think one of the easiest songs to practice using using the e shape barre chord would be CCR's Proud Mary.

Start on the 8th frett for the C
then on the 5th for an A
Do that twice and then repeat again but instead of going back to the 8th drop on down to the 3rd fret for a G then drop again to the 1st for an F back up to the 3rd for another G
and then on to an open D chord for the start of the vocals. Unless you know your A shape barre chords also. if so from the G on the 3rd go up yo the 5th and play an A shaped D barre instead of the open D.
There is only one other chord in the song and thats a Bm which you can either barre on the 2nd or the 7th fret. Its an E shaped barre on the 2nd fret or an Em shaped barre on the 7th

This is the Bm on the 2nd

|-----|--1---|------|------|-----|-----|-----| -1st string
|-----|--1---|--2---|------|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|------|------|--4---|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|------|------|--3---|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|--1---|------|------|-----|-----|-----|
|-----|--X---|------|------|-----|-----|-----| -6th string
|
1st fret

Numbers 1-4 are the fingers you should use in the stated place

Here is the Bm on the 7th
|--1---|-----|------|-----|-----|-----|-----| -1st string
|--1---|-----|------|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|--1---|-----|------|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|------|-----|--3---|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|------|-----|--4---|-----|-----|-----|-----|
|--1---|-----|------|-----|-----|-----|-----| -6th string
|
7th fret

There are many different ways to play this song but this way is good practice for keeping the E shape together when moving from one fret to another

Sorry guys, bit of a correction here the Bm on the 2nd fret is not as I said an E shape, it is in fact an Am shape.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Chris just noticed this in the Hotel California thread
Does it take you back, bet you wonder what the fuss was about?
https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9564&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah Jim,

Makes you think, I'm still a long way off barre chording Hotel Calafornia perfectly but I'm not afraid to have a go. Matt's version on that thread is brilliant though as a confidence builder.

Blimey! didn't think this thread would get so many replies. Thank you all for the many congrats and the words of encouragement. I keep saying it but this really is what guitarnoise is all about.

Ah! guys I'm filling up :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chris :wink: :wink:

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2