Clear all

All tone is lost...

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This is kind of a weird question that I most likley wont get any replies from... but here it goes..

Ok, I had posted a thread way back about my amp and how I am trying to get the good sound and arjen gave me the settings for my Behringer 210GMX and it didnt really work out.

I want to have that high sounding lead crunch. I can get an awesome crazy train sound when I click my toggle switch down to Bridge pickup and it sounds good but on Lead solos it sounds to light and not any POWER. I get power when using both pickups but it sounds to warm. I want a Non warm crunchy distortion thats not weak sounding on the solos. I have been messing around on the knobs on my death metal foot pedal and behringer its like Ive totally lost tone its all WAY to distorted NOT clean and ruff. God i want to cry lol. Please arjen or someone set me up with something, default of the behringer, some ideas, or anything. Thanks.. :)

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Possibly time to get an EQ pedal and go to work trying out it in different spots in your line-up (e.g., pre-, post-Death Metal). Danelectro makes an affordable model.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when you run your rig thru a distortion box you will get distortion. even on the lowest settings.

you need an OVERDRIVE pedal.
these pedals vary in price ;; from 39 $ to over 200.
overdrive pedals emulate a tube amp in saturation.
dirt, warmth, breakup.

what you are after is simple.
guitar to overdrive pedal to amp.
set the output (vol) on the overdrive and step on it when you lead.
beleive me Ive been thru this.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

He's looking for "NON warm crunchy distortion." A simple overdrive doesn't do this -- probably too warm. A hybrid overdrive/distortion pedal might be the key. But in any case, he should pick up a low cost EQ and learn to use it. It will open up a lot of possibilities even with a distorto-box.

Also, overdrive pedals don't emulate tube saturation. Instead, they cause saturation of the amp's input stage -- which is why they generally work better with tube amps.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Also, overdrive pedals don't emulate tube saturation. Instead, they cause saturation of the amp's input stage -- which is why they generally work better with tube amps.

What about tube overdrive pedals (the type with actual tubes in them)? Do these function in the same way - primarily to saturate the amp's input stage - or are they more like a preamp?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like Greg's EQ suggestion. You can use an EQ pedal as a boost for lead work and dial in just about any tone possible.

Overdrive pedals? Well, the Tubescreamer is the most famous.

Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

This is the most famous overdrive pedal of all time. Many swear by it.

A good overdrive I have recommended many times is the Danelectro Daddy-O.

Daddy-O Chicken Salad Package

Daddy-O Reviews

Musicians Friend has a special here. You get the Chicken Salad pedal for free, same price as the Daddy-O by itself. Why not??

This is a very versatile pedal. You can use it as a clean boost, or it will almost get Metal distortion. The best part is the 3-band EQ. You can get almost any tone out of this pedal. I have owned one for years, works great. Mine is very quiet as well. Excellent overdrive pedal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What about tube overdrive pedals (the type with actual tubes in them)? Do these function in the same way - primarily to saturate the amp's input stage - or are they more like a preamp?

Yes they can, but these are pretty pricey, and really aren't the same as "typical" Tubescreamer overdrives, which are made to work in conjunction with tube amp inputs, pushing them into saturation. What you describe will provide both the boost and the tube input in one box, and it suitable for output to a relatively clean amp. Either way, the tone can be nice, but based on MM's description of what he wants, it may not be a simple, saturated (overdriven) tube sound, but something edgier and more raw, or crunchier -- That's why I suggest EQ.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

if you're interested in a cheap overdrive pedal just to mess around with, you can't go wrong with the Danelectro FAB Overdrive. $15 at your local GC, and if you dont like it and it doesnt do it for you, you're out less than an Andrew Jackson.

Personally, i think it's a splendid pedal, i use it with my Strat into my Vox amp and i think it sounds just peachy. but everyone is right, it does give that warmish tone. but still, my 2 cents says that for $15, give it a whirl.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote