Always sharp

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all.

Last week I picked up a spankin new Gretsch 5120.

Something I've noticed is that when I go to pick it up, it is almost always 10 cents or so sharp. I retune, practice, put it away, and the next day the same thing. 10 cents or so sharp, on all strings. My squier strat doesn't do that.

Any ideas of why that might be?

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Is the place you leave your guitar relatively cold? Just an idea but if there's enough temperature change between when you play (finger heat) and when it's sitting, the strings could "shrink" and pull themselves sharp. I think...maybe I'm really off on this one. I just can't think of another reason why they would all go equally sharp.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The temperature explanation would make sense, especially if you usually play both in the morning and the evening. So each night you put it away, it's cold at night, and when you pick it up in the morning it's sharp.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Happens to me every time, too, because I leave it on a wall hanger on an exterior wall.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That makes perfect sense. I do keep it by my bed, under a window. Thanks

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Same for me, especially since I switched my stings from 9's to 10's. Definitely has to do with temperature.

ReplyQuote