Clear all

Am I just hearing things...

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

...or does my electric just sound better acoustically after only a few months.

I've always heard that age brings out the best in a guitar, but I've only had mine now for a little over 5 or 6 months so I have trouble believing it applies in my case. I was new to the guitar when I first purchased it so I would like to think that some of it is "in my fingers", if you will. I just can't help but notice even the casual strum seems to sound so much richer when its unplugged.

I don't know, maybe we've finally just bonded :D

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

its defo YOU!!! 8)......

....improving

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if it were a brand new guitar most definately they break in. the strings have mellowed the vibrations make all the parts snuggle. that all makes sense.
the main thing is you, of course. I think you have gotten to know the guitar and understand the give and take.

I never heard of an electric guitar 'opening up' as does an acoustic guitar. that is why I wrote 'snuggle'. something has to be going on. indeed, your abilities will coax more and more out of the guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's likely you've learned how to bring out the best in your guitar. Takes a while for each one. Calling it "bonding" seems reasonable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bonding and snuggling? Why don't you pixies knock it off! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding guys!

I know I do sound my best with a certain one of my guitars. Always takes me a bit to get in touch with the others when I play 'em.

My accoustic is a whole other thing. I know I've improved immensly since I bought it back in '04 (or '05?), but dang. It's sounding so sweet now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hahahahaha...my acoustic and I have just the opposite relationship now. It was my first guitar, but since I got the electric, I barely play the acoustic. When I pick the acoustic up now, it doesn't sound nearly as good. I thought it was just not enough practice on it....maybe its just not feeling as loved :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Possibly the fact that you've improved, possibly that it's broken in, more than likely a combination of the two AND the fact that you'll be listening to what you're doing with a more experienced ear. Those chords you were fumbling with as a raw beginner will now be sounding better because you know what you're doing!

I think everyone has a go-to, or favourite, guitar - the one you pick up first, the one you'd grab if the house was on fire. With me, it's my Telecaster - and although the neck is virtually identical to the neck on my Squier Tele, I can do a lot more with the Fender. Or am I just feeling things.........?

Oh, and I TRULY bonded with one of my guitars a while back. That Loctite Superglue's pretty strong stuff....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you've unconsciously learned how to play it in a way that makes it sound better.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And you have GOT to learn to play "Back In The USSR"..........

Hey, Billy Joel did it on his Russian Live Album.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote