Clear all

Am I writin this right?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ive started to learn musical notation and the notes came fine and easy havin some difficulty with combing the rhythms but any way. after strugglin some I decided to do whats works best with me, work by writing my own songs in musical notation. anyway ive come to a part in a song Im writing with triplets. my question is this (after all my digressing): in 4/4 time can I fit 4 triplets in a measure or is it 3. its trivial yes but ive heard conflicting things.
thanks for the help
Micheal =)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's four.

A triplet is three notes played in the space of two; in 4/4 time, you'll have four pairs of eighth notes, so you can have four sets of eighth note triplets.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you're planning on writing for an extended amount of time using what would be triplets in 4/4, you might want to write in 12/8. It's exactly the same, but it saves you from writing little tiny threes over each group of notes. It's even usually played in 4.

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Definately 4 bro, the third note sneaks in somewhere between the "One, and..." My advice for some great writng principles on triplets and also swing is to head to wholenote.com Community there is alot shabbier then here in alot of aspects. But Ive found some very useful rythm and notation instructions.

Kido

ReplyQuote