Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Amount of Practice each day

Page 2 / 2

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You cannot really practice too much, but if you practice 6 hours without proper resting every 30 minutes your brains won't be able to deal with all the new info, and you won't learn as much as you would expect. Practicing every day 30 minutes will get you moving, whereas only one big practice session every week won't do much good.

So: try to squeeze in 20 minutes every day. If you have time left after whatever needs being done that day, squeeze in some more minutes. If you don't feel like 'practicing', just play some tunes. You won't learn anything if you are just waiting for the practice session to end, so make sure you are enjoying yourself.

So when to practice? when you have the time and feel like practicing. Simple as that.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

bump

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

An hour a day - although I've been a bit slack lately. My girlfriend likes to hear me play.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Somedays it can be up to 3 or 4 hours... other days it can be very little. I try to get at least an hour of practice a day.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

You cannot really practice too much, but if you practice 6 hours without proper resting every 30 minutes your brains won't be able to deal with all the new info, and you won't learn as much as you would expect. Practicing every day 30 minutes will get you moving, whereas only one big practice session every week won't do much good.

This resting every 30 minutes is good to hear because I do it naturally. My mind kind of stalls and I have little breaks or I get really frustrated and bored.

Hmm.. My practice differs day to day, maybe 1-2 hrs.

John Petrucci once said he practices 5 hours a day.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

Remember: quality is more important than quantity.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I usally practice about 30min straight every moring before work and the family wakes up. After work I usally practice whenever I can. I keep my guitar on a stand and will pick it up several times through out the evening probably playing anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes at a time. I've been wondering if these short practice sessions are helping, or more thirty minute sessions would be better. It's just having two kids to keep up with it's often difficult to find 30 mins at a time without interuption. In the short sessions I do try and practice what my teacher has me working on so it's not just playing or noodling. Just looking for some feedback on whether this is enough time, I want to progress and realize that time spent practing is the key, I'm just curious if the short sessions will add up.
Any feedback is apprecaited

I really look forward to the weekends, I get lots of practice time, drives the family nuts...

Thanks
David

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I too use a lot of short sessions.

I try to get in about 20 minutes in the morning before work - nothing new just work on something I already know. My work day is split between the office and home, so when I come home in the afternoon, I grab another 20 minutes session. I make sure I get one good 30 - 45 minute session a day, but I squeeze in as many short ones as I can - whenever I need a break from work. Saturdays I don't get much in, just one 20 - 30 minute session. Sundays I usually get a lot of time in, but again in short sessions.

I talked with my teacher about it and he liked the idea. He saw no problems with it and it does increase the amount of time I get to play so that's a good thing.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I've read that if you're serious about improving your playing you should do at least 2 hours per day, and as you are thinking of getting a band together you shouldn't have any problem with that - the suggestions about breaking it up sounds good so you don't get too tired to start with.

After reading this thread the other day I've been putting in more practise myself - funny that. I worked out I can get some of the boring bits in by doing it while watching the TV - that was practising new chord changes over and over - it was quiet enough not to disturb the others in the room.

I read that a good practise session could involve firstly a warm up by doing scale exercises etc; then practise new material/songs that should have some challenge in it or your playing won't improve/develop; and the last segment of practise would include going over material you already know well, and making it a fun/enjoyable time :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2