Clear all

Amp cord

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A guy I know is selling a Marshall G100RCD and a mutual friend passed it on to me to check out but it is missing the cord between the head and ths cabinet. How special is this cord? Is it something I can get at Radio Shack on the way home? I don't pass any music stores unfortunately... I also don't want to spend $40 on a 2' cord. He's selling this thing for "around $150" (head and cab). It's kinda beat up but he says it plays great. I was thinking it was a tube amp when I first talked to him but am now a little disappointed to see it is SS (I shoulda figured for $150)

Any thoughs on this rig?

Thanks!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The cable between head and speaker usually amounts to nothing more than 'zip' cord - for like lamps and stuff; just 2 conductor unshielded cable with a TS tip-sleeve plug on both ends. Get like 16 gauge or 14 maybe. I think 18'll do.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Not sure what you mean by zip coard... it isn't lamp cord though... the jacks look like a guitar jack... is it gust a guitar cord? Or is it a "zip" cord like you mention with a photo jack on each end. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The Marshall G100RCD is just a head so to connect it to a cabinet you'll need a speaker cable(It looks like lamp cord and you can slip it down the middle hence the term zip). They run about $250 used online so I'd say your getting a deal. In any case fire it up and run it through it's paces before you buy it. At 100 watts you'll need a fairly sound proof room to test that mother. Good luck! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I believe that a&L meant that the amp runs about 250, not the cable. :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I believe that a&L meant that the amp runs about 250, not the cable. :lol: :lol:

Yeah the amp runs $250(without a cab).Punctuation is not my strong point. 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:lol: :lol: That took a minute... I initially almost crapped my pants thinking the cable cost $250 (no wonder he's selling it so cheap :shock: )

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Haha, that would have to be quite the cable :D. Anywho

The good news: You should definitely be able to pick that cable up at a RadioShack
The bad news: I'm guessing the people at RadioShack will have no clue what you're talking about if you say it's to connect an amp to a cabinet, unless you get lucky and find a guitarist working there.
The reason it's really not such bad news: DemoEtc's description is pretty dang complete
... just 2 conductor unshielded cable with a TS tip-sleeve plug on both ends. Get like 16 gauge or 14 maybe. I think 18'll do...
If you tell the guys at RadioShack that, they should definitely be able to hook you up (either that, or that should be looking for a new job :wink: Shouldn't run you too much either. I have not purchased anything like that in a while, so I'm not too keen on prices, but i'd say no more the $10 or $15...though don't quote me on that.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all! That wire in that link is what I was picturing when zip cord was mentioned but like I said... the cab and head have a phono jack in each (not the two little wire nuts you find on the back of speakers). I'll ask the rat shack guy and see if I can just get the cable, some jack plugs and make my own cord. Listen closely... you'll hear if I was successful. :-)

C

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Out of curiousity what is the cab?

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Out of curiousity what is the cab?
OK... so I feel a little foolish... Radio Shack had a $4 thing called a Audio Patch Cable (shielded mono with 1/4" phone plugs) :shock: Thanks for all the help though. Here's the rig... LOUD! Real loud! :wink: It's pretty beat up and the Effects knob is snaped off. I'm guessing I could open her up and see what pot is in there for that knob and replace it. The price seems good but I think it's more amp than I need (or better yet... my 10 year old needs... his eyes almost came out of his head when I came home with it... I can't get him off it :shock: )

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I don't know if anyone sent you a Private Message, but I think the suggestion was to use an unshielded cable. I think there is a reason to use an unshielded cable between a head and a cab, instead of using a shielded cable. The shielded cable is what you use from the guitar to the head.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't know if anyone sent you a Private Message, but I think the suggestion was to use an unshielded cable. I think there is a reason to use an unshielded cable between a head and a cab, instead of using a shielded cable. The shielded cable is what you use from the guitar to the head.
Thank you! What I got works but I'll get the unshielded.

ReplyQuote