amp just aint loud enough....

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I recently bought an alesis spitfire amp, its a great little guy but it just aint loud enough... it's great for when I'm jammin alone at home but once theres a set of drums in there u cant even hear it when it's cranked. Do I have to buy another larger amp and plug this one into that, or is there just a powered speaker unit that I could buy to get the volume I want? Any recommendations would be greatly aprectiated.

BTW- Some kind of Monster kicks some serious a$$!!!! Shows the guys shooting the video in San Quentin....

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If your amp has a line-out you can use the Tech21 Power Engines to send it to higher wattage amps.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

is that totally necesary? I can see why it would be a good idea, but couldn't I just use the speaker line-out to the input on a bigger amp without anything inbetween? OR would this affect signal quality?

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm on a rather tight budget so cost is a factor

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Whichever model you have (15, 30 or 60), you shouldn't use the external speaker output to plug into another amp's input. You can use the headphone or stereo link output (I think) to go into another amp - that's what it looks like anyhow, from the descriptions on the Alesis site.

As far as a cheaper way to go, you really can't get something for nothing in this case. Either way you'll have to buy another amp to run the Spitfire into - either another guitar amp combo, or with the stereo outs, you could possibly get a PA grade stereo or dual channel power-amp and then either go stereo with two PA type (small) speakers cabs, or bridge the power amp and run it into one cab.

The real inexpenside alternative is, if your band has a PA system already - then you might be able to run the stereo outputs from your amp into 2 channels on the PA mixer (or one channel, it doesn't really matter), and have that as your 'external amp.'

If this is not the case, then you'll either have to get another amp combo of a larger wattage - into which you'd plug the Spitfire - or get some PA type stuff for yourself. Used PA amp and speaker might be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Power Engine IS the amp, just a cabinet with a build in poweramp. So you just run a cable between your amp and the PE.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Like this one?

http://www.tech21nyc.com/pe60.html

What a great concept.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Right on. And the nifty part is that you can keep on linking them, so if you get the PE60 and it ain't enough, you can just buy 10 more. Should work great with modeling devices as well.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

i got a questionn. could that thing double as an acoustic amp? If it could, it would be a great one beacuse there'd be no preamp to color the tone right?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

If your band has a PA, just mic the amp. You can get an e609S for $100 and an SM57 for less than that.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So the power engine, has good enough power and its own speaker that would be loud enough?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The cheapest way would be to have the other musicians not play so loud. If their drowning out a 30 watt amp then if you get a 100 watt they will play even louder. If becomes a circle. And this is from a guitar player that has rattled rooms apart and broke glass from playing loud and on the other end, also entertained folks using a old Gibson Falcon 12 watts and rocked the house down. That amp you have is capable many hookup combinations.

I would start by asking them to turn down, if everybody is playing full blast all the time I would think the dynamics in the music would be lost. Again this is my Opinion.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

good suggestion... it's the 15watt one, but it sounds kinda bad when U turn the volume past 75%, gets extremely distorted.

I was reading up some on that powerengine and it seems like exactly what I want, if it doesn't change the sound at all and get nice and loud it should be perfect. I was reading a couple customer reviews on it and all of them seemed very impressed with it. I'll have to get the local dealer to get me a price on it though, I can't find a price in Canadian....

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I use mine with acoustic, guitar--->Yamaha Magic Stomp--->PE60

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

awesome... thanks for the advice I think the pe60 is exactly what I need :D

ReplyQuote