Clear all

amplify acoustic

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'd like to amplify one of my acoustic guitars with something removable, and I have a gift certificate at a local music shop that has limited options. They have the Dean Markley Artist, which is a coin shaped soundboard trasducer (not really sure what that means, but anyway), and they also have the Dean MArkley ProMag grand, which appears to be a soundhole pickup of the humbucking variety.

First question is , any opinions on either or both of the above options? Seems like the reviews I've read of the Artist model is that it picks up every little vibration, even if you bump the cable. (if this is truly the case, then this is not for me). The ProMag seems to be less like the actual acoustic sound, but stiull very good, and lots less feedback, hum, etc.)

Second question is, can I run this through my VOX AD30VT amp that I use for my LP electric? Seems like I could just use the "boutique clean" model amp and that it should sound pretty good. I'm not looking for studio quyality here...really just wanting to mess around with effects on my acoustic. Don't hae the cash for an acoustic amp.

Thanks all!!

(@psychoticsmurf)

What is your budget?

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My budget is $100.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have the Dean MArkley ProMag grandand it sounds great....or you could just mic your acoustict through a PA System.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mike - Do you use the ProMAg with an acoustic amp? or do you use your electric amp?

ReplyQuote
(@psychoticsmurf)

EDIT- Wrong thing came to mind. Here is what I meant to give you.

I'd say check out DiMarzio DP135 Super Natural Acoustic Soundhole Pickup. Look at its specs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/302080/

For anything I'll recommend almost any DiMarzio pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike - Do you use the ProMAg with an acoustic amp? or do you use your electric amp?I used it through my electric on the cleanest channel...However I think most of the experienced players here would say you get better acoustic sound from mic'ing your acoustic through a PA system...

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I will second Mike's opinion. I've got the ProMag Plus. Got it a GC for something like $49. I think it sounds fine. I use it through my electric amp and for recording - it was the easiest way to get the acoustic into my PC.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the input everyone.

hey SteveS., what else did you need to get your acoustic into your PC. other gear? software?
Do I plug into my amp, then from Line/Phone jack into my PC? seems like I would need some other hardware?
I have very little if any budget beyond what I would spend on the acoustic pickup. thanks for any help.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I'm using the M-Audio Fast Track USB. Reasonably priced little unit. However, if your amp has a line out, you can feed that right into the line in input of your sound card. You'll need a mini-plug adapter, available at any Radio Shack.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Fishman Rare Earth line offers several sound hole solutions, and are some of the best. The single-coil is close to your budget. Active electronics and great for DI (recording), PA or regular amp. The humbucking version I have is better than the guitar it's in. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote