Anal about tone?

103 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
12.4 K Views
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

LOL.. That is the exact guitar that I originally went to buy when I ended up with my Ovation. I had then down to $750 US on it and they wanted 999 originally. I love that guitar.. But I like mine too

Glad you got out of it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just goes to show what sought of "Mark up" there is on Guitars!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I did not write this....a friend did. I keep a copy at my desk for when I need a chuckle.
REF: Monster Cables
Enjoy.
It depends on the overtone you desire. For example, cables made with "Brazilian Copper" favor the darker bass side of the spectrum. Cables with Adirondack or Austrian plastic on the insulating sheaths enhance sustain. Some cables even contain fossilized mammoth dung as a dielectric spacer between the jack tip and shield, these of course are preferred by finger-style players.
The very best tonally responsive copper is "free range copper". This type of copper is only harvested in it's natural state, when found laying on the ground. You see mining copper with huge machinery drives out the free radical valiance electrons which give free range copper it's pure harmonic tap tone. You can actually pick up a piece of free range copper and tap it with a hammer and hear it's natural harmonics. Mined copper sounds weaker when tapped because the free electrons have been traumitized by the in-humane mining process. Some people claim that placing mined copper in front of speakers and playing Devo records repeatedly at max volume can restore some of the free valance electrons and result in a purer tap tone. But I think it's best to demand the real thing when buying a cable, pure book-matched free range copper.
Also most people agree you have to actually play the cable before buying, ideally several different cables, with a friend across the room who can comment on the quality of the harmonic overtones. Compare cables of different color and length before buying, and dont forget to get a cable humidifier to keep your cable from cracking.

That's pretty funny, especially since I have a good friend who works for monster (he's the one who got me the backstage passes for Santana). He is always on me about using Monster cables, about how superior they are to the cables the local music shop makes. I had him bring over a couple of monsters, and put him in another room and had him try to figure out when I was using monster and when I was using cables from the local shop, he couldn't tell which was which even though he still insists on the superior sound quality of monster.
I don't twig him to much about it though- don't want my supply of backstage passes cut off :twisted:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I don't twig him to much about it though- don't want my supply of backstage passes cut off :twisted:

Smart man!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

This is a few more random thoughts of a friend of mine.
Enjoy.
Sadly, some cablers still compromise ethics and dope free range copper with antikryptonite, some people will do anything for money. But buyers need to be aware that under the CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), even the artist can be fined for merely possessing a cable containing doped copper.
A friend of mine had a show at Yellowstone Lodge. There was a Ranger in the audience who caught a glint of the tell-tale maize-umber color that is reflected by doped copper. Next thing he knows my buddy is in hand-cuffs, thrown in the back of a van and jailed in nearby Bozeman Montana. His cable was cut into tiny pieces, and some over-zealous Green Peace workers actually poked their fingers through the cones of his PA speakers. It took fourteen months and over seven grand in fees and fines for him to finally regain his freedom. Dont risk it man, good sound just aint worth the price.

But if you really want the pure, undoped, ring of free range copper, Behringer has a new cable-modeler pre-amp. It uses 24 bit digital signaling to actually duplicate (more-or-less) the sounds of sixteen classic cables. I havn't tried it yet but I am told it comes pretty close to the real thing, at least for studio use. My buddy (now reformed) uses one and really likes the Jimmy Hendrix melted-rubber with lighter fluid highlights setting. He also said that the Jan and Dean corroded sea-salt setting really recaptures the buzz and crackle of that time.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member

it's funny how this thread started stating that everyone should stick to the topic and not wander off and suddenly you go to page 7 and someone's talking about a guitar and pre-amps and 24bit stuff :P

as always though... if something's free it's good! and advice on the forums is free...

so it's good...

like 18 year old japanese school girl uniforms ... lol

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

I thought that my friends little story would fit right in with a thread titled "Anal about Tone".
I enjoy reading "tone" discussions and about all the science, both real and fabled, behind it. But there is that fine line where it becomes so subjective that the conversation just falls apart. Though there are times when I can get swept up right into it and think that if I just change the nut I will notice a difference in tone. Now someone else might notice a difference, but not me.

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

But if you really want the pure, undoped, ring of free range copper, Behringer has a new cable-modeler pre-amp. It uses 24 bit digital signaling to actually duplicate (more-or-less) the sounds of sixteen classic cables. I havn't tried it yet but I am told it comes pretty close to the real thing, at least for studio use. My buddy (now reformed) uses one and really likes the Jimmy Hendrix melted-rubber with lighter fluid highlights setting. He also said that the Jan and Dean corroded sea-salt setting really recaptures the buzz and crackle of that time.

I absolutely love the idea of a cable modeler. Though that almost hits too close to home as far as crap guitarists will buy to enhance their tone.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Here's a Japanese game show video with the members of Morning Musume ("Morning Girls"), a teen pop girl group, with pork chops tied to their heads, said heads then being poked up through holes in the bottom of a cage containing a monitor lizard. What fun!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-123322263707848424
:shock: :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

I just want to tell you that ain't gonna happen.

But has anyone else noticed that Jessie from Team Rocket is hot?

I don't log into guitarnoise for a few days and I just miss everything.
Nick that funny!!!!!!!! :lol:
Anyways google sucks and spent months of my life trying to research what kind of gear the person who taught Robert Johnson's teacher used once I find that guitar; I'm ordering. :) I'm I off topic.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

THE 100th REPLY :wink:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member

and the 101th one :P

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I just want to tell you that ain't gonna happen.

But has anyone else noticed that Jessie from Team Rocket is hot?

Sir:

Am currently in Japan. Schoolgirls sighted. Awaiting orders.

PFC. Gnease

(Was seeing uniformed schoolgirls everywhere yesterday, then suddenly remembered this thread.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7