And it all falls into place . . .

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just had an epiphany!! :shock:

Not quite sure how or why, but I've been playing that Comfortably Numb solo I have been banging on about in the "Hear Hear" forum for about 45 mins or so, over and over this evening, and just 10 minutes ago I suddenly felt my whole body relax into playing. I realised how tensed up I must have been before!
I should point out that only yesteday I freed myself from playing with my pinky and 3rd finger glued to the scratchplate, a habit I've had since I started, and at the same time I have been trying to alternate pick as well all the time (on advice of other members on here - you know who you are 8) ).
My playing felt fluid all of a sudden (probably wasn't though :mrgreen: ) and I could shut my eyes and play comfortably, alternate pick without feeling awkward, feel the strings rather than just "hitting them" and dare I say I even felt the guitar more. :?
All I can say though, is that the last 10 minutes of guitar playing I think have been the most awesome since I picked up the guitar! :lol:

I probably sound a bit mad though now . . . :oops:

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

My playing felt fluid all of a sudden (probably wasn't though :mrgreen: ) and I could shut my eyes and play comfortably...

Were you comfortably numb? ;)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the improvement. :D

Yes, it is very important to relax when you play. Pay attention to stress in your body. Do you find yourself holding your breathe when you play? Do you grip the guitar with a death grip? Do you feel tension in your arms and shoulders? Pay attention to stress like this and learn to relax at all times.

Keep Rockin'

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

8)

Couldn't have said it better myself! :roll: :lol: :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

...I should point out that only yesteday I freed myself from playing with my pinky and 3rd finger glued to the scratchplate, a habit I've had since I started...

When I'm picking notes, I always have my pinky or my pinky and 3rd finger on the pickguard. It's like having a reference point and it's easier for me to find strings, especially when skipping over one or more. And it helps me have a more accurate and lighter touch.

My son has been playing for a couple of years now, and he just started taking lessons again with a new teacher. After his first lesson, the teacher told me that he SHOULD be placing his fingers on the pickguard when picking notes. He said he should use the fingers as an anchor. My son usually doesn't anchor his fingers. The teacher also told me that if it's more trouble trying to break the habit, we should let him do what he feels comfortable with.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yashicamat, nice post :)

Sometimes we forget the most important things. I can get that feeling in other some activities but I'm not able to get by guitar playing... yet.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

yashicamat wrote:
I probably sound a bit mad though now . . . :oops:

Not that I'm a great reference point, but you just sound plain ecstatic to me! Good for you and thanks for sharing your very inspirational experience with us! I'm tackling alternate picking myself lately, and I'm especially happy to hear about your newfound success. :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am ecstatic! :D

I've just recorded another version of that solo now, although I didn't feel as relaxed playing in front of the camera . . . mind you, a 15 hour day at university and having driven 100 miles as well probably doesn't help either. :shock:

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Grasshopper you are wise to learn the ways of the alternate picking.

Pick well and you will go far!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well thank you for the advice in the first place! :)

Rob

ReplyQuote