Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Another Jam Report and Subsequent Questions

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My friend and I had another Jam last night. He on bass, me on guitar. We started off with a song that he wants to play. Kind of an odd number I'll get to in a bit. We then went to the folder with the chord sheets of the songs we do together. It's up to 25 songs now, and there's a few I need to add.

Our best efforts were 'Bobby McGee, Bad Moon Rising, American Girl and Brown Eyed Girl. One song to note was American Girl. messed it up in one spot. It was as soon as I started to get comfortable and I lost my spot. I regained it very quickly and kept my timing on track, so it wasn't that bad. Just another skill rarely mentioned, but oh so important and am trying to learn.

Another song to comment on. I have been working on a better strum pattern for Cash's Folsom Prison Blues. I've been doing it pretty well. I bombed it last night. My friend saved me mid song. It was like magic. I backed away from the singing and he picked it right up, which allowed me to concentrate entirely on my new pattern. I even went into the solo and did it better than normal.

So anyhow, my question is this. Do you open up a jamming session with some easier songs to get warmed up? Last night we opened up with a crazy song by the Beatles called "Everyone's Got Something To Hide Except Me Ane My Monkey". I am slowly getting up to speed on it. It's quite challenging with many quick and different parts all crammed into one fast under-three minute song.

We went straight into some other songs in the folder after we worked on this song. I was horrible for about 3-4 songs. Big time anxiety, perhaps? I dunno. I settled down and got into the groove for the rest of the session. I'm thinking that perhaps a couple easy warm up songs to start the sessions would be better. Get me comfortable earlier?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy what ever works for you buddy. We have done it both ways. If it's a night where we are just playing songs we already know to keep them fresh then we might start with easier ones but when you have 4 guys each song has a different level of complexity depending on what you are doing. There are a lot of songs that are easy for me since I'm only for the most part playing the rhythm but the leads on some are very difficult so for me it's not a problem the other guitar player may not want to start with the same ones. But it doesn't matter there will be days you'll screw everything up a little bit regardless of the order and other days you feel like you never palyed so well.

But in reality even when we are just playing songs we just rip through them in whatever order we feel like. I did put together a couple set lists that we run through but not always in the exact same order, we tried that last week until th ecops showed up and kind of killed the whole night.

Then there are nights like tonight when all we do is work on 3-4 new songs. In that case it doesn't matter cuz they are all a work in progress.

Tonights agenda is finish the harmony end to Still in love with you, get through some of the last sections of Train kept a Rollin, start the Ten Years After song If I could change the world and start Alive by Pearl Jam.

If we get aall that done it'll be a good practice.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yes, we start with an easy song that we all know well, just to get comfortable. We also usually end with a song that we play well, so we leave with a good feeling. We almost always follow this, whether with strangers or people we've played with for years.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Cool. That sounds like something I'll suggest next time. This is about our 5th time together, so we have established what some of the better songs are by now.

cnev, I like that list of tunes you do. I'm slowly getting there as far as the harder Rock stuff. We did do "Rocking in the Free World" last night. I've left my amp's gain channel in a good position for that song. Easy footswitch tap and I'm ready. It was the first time we've done it, and first ever for him. He just kind of found a bassline and went to town. Wicked cool.

I always forget about Ten Years After when I'm surfing about looking for songs to mess with. Must look into. 8)

Laz, my friend did the closing session thing just like you described. He chose one and said something to the affect of 'let's end on one we do really well'. I get it now. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Funny Laz you should mention that, one of our signature songs is Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers, easy song we've been playing for awhile and one of our go-to songs if we aren't feeling it, but everyonce in awhile when things haven't gone particularly well at practice we'll end with it to lift our spirits only to find we suxed on that one too. Hasn't happened often but it does.

It's rarely because we screw it up it just ends up being flat and lifeless. So much for an ego boost to end a bad day!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote