Clear all

Another Muting Technique

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just discovered another muting that I use, without even knowing it. I subconsciously knew the phrasing and its unique sound, but never consciously applied it until now. So what I do is: while down stroking lightly brush the thumb of my picking-hand against the strings.

It is a more subtle muting and causes a unique rhythm "pause" and slighty deadens the strings so they don't keep ringing (but you can still hear the note or chord just significantly less prominent).

Anybody else use this technique? It just came to me one day while I was absorbing myself in the music.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just discovered another muting technique that I use, without even knowing it. I subconsciously knew the phrasing and its unique sound, but never consciously noticed it until now. So what I do is: while down stroking lightly brush the thumb of my picking-hand against the strings.

It is a more subtle muting and causes a unique rhythm "pause" and slighty deadens the strings so they don't keep ringing (but you can still hear the note or chord just significantly less prominent).

Anybody else use this technique? It just came to me one day while I dissolved myself into the music. :D

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

That is a relatively common technique, although it can be hard to figure out. I didn't use it until someone showed it to me. I really comes into its own on speed picking stuff. Good for you for figuring it out :)

-Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote