Skip to content
Anti-GAS??? I must ...

Notifications
Clear all

Anti-GAS??? I must be insane or stupid...

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, a few weeks ago I bought a $100 Baltimore Strat copy on a lark. The frets are all smooth, and it sounded good in the store. I got it just to round out the collection, and maybe use it to take to jams and not care if it got beat up. The guitar that I am really GAS-ing for is a G&L Tribute Tele....

Or am I? I can't stop playing this $100 beater! I hardly ever pick up my other guitars. I love them all dearly, but this Strat copy has put a spell on me. I put some Elixirs on it, and it sounds great! It isn't as twangy as a Tele would be, and I really like the country twang, but I get home and I am consumed with doubt about whether or not I REALLY want the Tribute! Ugh!

I was going to put the '54 Strat pickups on Bettie (the $100 Strat) eventually, but if I blow off the Tribute I can put them on now, and get a Squier Tele and still save some dough. I may not even get the Squier Tele for a while, since it might just sit in the corner, except for maybe once a week, like my others. I am very impressed with the Squier Teles for the money, though.

I am getting a screaming deal on the Tribute, which makes the decision even tougher.

I have never upgraded pickups before, and it seems weird to put pickups in that cost more than the whole guitar did!

Anybody else upgrade a cheap-o that they can't put down?

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Have you considered therapy? This ant-GASing phase is immoral and could be a sign of a bigger problem. :roll:

Actually, I had been GASing for a real Gibson LP for a long time but I picked up the Epi Custom awhile back and am real happy with it. :) It's not in the $100 category but the same concept.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you can't put the cheapo down, why upgrade it? Leave it alone and play the heck out of that thing!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If you can't put the cheapo down, why upgrade it? Leave it alone and play the heck out of that thing!

I want to upgrade it because the pickups on it aren't that great. They are excellent for $100, but they can't compare to the stock single coils on my SD. That said, I have been doing some reading, and maybe if I shield it I won't have to upgrade. Or maybe just put a Texas Special in the bridge. Maybe.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

For $100 and it plays well it is worth a little investment. Starting with the shielding is good idea and cheap.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i agree with Nils, do the low cost easy upgrades and drive the wheels offa dat thing! :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Or buy a few more of those $100 ones. One for each day of the week or something. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you get a super deal today, you'll get a super deal tomorrow. Maybe not the same dealer but it's not like it's a one-time opportunity. If you like the $100 guitar, drop the tele. It's a lot of money and if you're not 100% sure you're better of waiting for something you do really desperately want.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd say why not try some pickups. No need to drop a big wad of dough though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member

What's GASing?

(I'm stupid :S)

Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

GAS (Gear Aqcuisition (that one is spelled much different I fear) Syndrome), or in simple words: craving for new toys.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

isn't it guitar acquisition syndrome

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Actually I like Arjen's def.

It covers a wider range a GAS.

I like drums and recording gear also, so I may GAS over them, too.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The term GAS is used in all sorts of hobbies besides music, with Arjen's definition.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member

oh cool lol

i have GAS too then:P

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2