Clear all

Anti-rant

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Every so often someone posts some sort of mini rant "I'm not getting any better...in fact, I suck!", and it's true...every serious musician feels like that occasionally, to some extend.

Anyway, this is an anti-rant. I just wanted to share some of my recent joy with my guitar. Maybe it will encourage some of the newer players like me, and give the veterans something fond to remember about their early days:

I will have been playing for a year in June. On Sunday, I played in church. There were three of us playing; another guitarist and a vocalist. Although I have played before (twice), it was the first time I played and sang at the same time, and the first time I played a whole set (before I only cameo'ed a song or two). I even did a solo intro/outro or two, which is normally handled by our guitarist or keyboard player (who didn't play on Sunday).

In addition, I've finally (on my third attempt) found a really good teacher. He is the first guy who has watched what I'm doing in order to assist and correct me. He's also very quick, talented, with a wide repertoire, so every minute of the 30 minutes is productive time. This has made a big difference to both my level of ability and my motivation, because I feel the need to reciprocate what he taught me with some measure of improvement. And finally, he knows a lot of styles, and is able to help me "cross genres", which I enjoy. Added a bit of the blues to a gospel song? Cool!

And my third anti-rant: I'm finally at the point where I can just play. No particular song, but a little more than noodling. It's kind of like playing how I feel. I can pick up the guitar and play for 15-20 minutes (until my hands get tired), and not be playing anything in particular. It's partly bits of songs I know, partly "original", and mostly a bit of both. It's always been my primary goal, and now that it's achieved, I can expand on my toolbox.

I doubt it sounds good to anyone else, yet, but that's not the point. And probably, eventually, it WILL sound good to other people.

Anyway, end of anti-rant. I love this (these) guitar(s) of mine. And thanks to all on this site who have contributed to my goals!!!

Regards,
Christopher

(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

That's so good to hear - thank you for sharing that, Grimm!

It's a wonderful step, getting to being able to improvise convicingly rather than just noodling, or playing what's been written down.

Amen, brother! Keep on keeping on!

(PS nice to meet another church musician :D )

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member

I echo your anti-rant, though I have not really experienced in my 14 months or so of playing any type of major frustration. Not to say that certain passages I have tried to learn have not been challenging.

I too have begun to play in our church praise band and find it exhilarating and look forward to each Sunday.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Good to see posts such as these! Keep it up.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

And my third anti-rant: I'm finally at the point where I can just play. No particular song, but a little more than noodling. It's kind of like playing how I feel. I can pick up the guitar and play for 15-20 minutes (until my hands get tired), and not be playing anything in particular. It's partly bits of songs I know, partly "original", and mostly a bit of both. It's always been my primary goal, and now that it's achieved, I can expand on my toolbox.

I love doing that. In fact, that's where most of my practice time goes...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Excellent to hear! Now if you could please bottle it up and ship some this way I would be greatful! :lol: 8)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hey Grimm! Great to hear from you mate!

Thanks for the post. It most definitely is inspirational. You've been playing for about a month longer than me so it's great to hear what you're up to and where you're at.

Keep it up! 8)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent post, Grimm! Thanks! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote