Notifications
Clear all

Any classical players out there?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rayjaytray)
Topic starter  

I'm relatively new to the classical guitar, but I came across a Goya GG-30 and I've been playing it a lot lately. I've been running into problems when I change the strings.

I've been playing guitar awhile so I can tune and change the strings easily, but it seems like when I do the 1,2, and 3 strings constantly out of tune. (they take a significant time to break in it seems.)

Whenever I was putting the new strings on I started with the low strings and got all three of them on (the metal ones) while leaving the old nylons on the guitar...tuned it up, and it sounded great. Do any classical players just change out the metal strings (EAD) and leave the bottom nylons on (GBE), because it seems like the nylons have a longer life.

Anyone have any special methods or tips when re stringing a classical to make it sound great? It seems like new strings I put on this guitar give it too bright a sound and it sounds funny for awhile.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, a lot of classical players just change out the bass strings (the metal wound ones) because the trebles take a while to get stretched out nicely, and just when they're perfect, it's time, usually, to change the basses - which is why D'Addario does (or used to) put out a 9 string set - 3 trebles and two sets of the basses.

When I change mine I tune to pitch and pull the strings upward from the fretboard a little bit - about an inch or so at the 12th fret, then less at the 5th or 7th fret, and the same up around the soundhole. Prestretching some guys call it, but the trebles always take longer to stretch out and keep pitch. Sometimes I'll tune them up a half step higher than normal and leave them like that a day or two.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@rayjaytray)
Topic starter  

Thanks man, that does help. These strings I just put on (D'Addario) sound much, much better than the last set I tried. The last set I used were some brand of Martin.

One big difference in this set and the Martins were that these tied on the bridge and the Martins had a small ball of plastic to hold them in place. Does this make a difference in the sound of the guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

You also want to make certain that the knots are tied correctly:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I've tried both strings that you have to try and the ones with those little black plastic ends on them. I haven't really noticed a major difference in the tone of the guitar with either strings, they were different makes of strings but same size. I don't play my classical too often so u may hear differently from others. I stay with the tied strings because I like they way they look and the bridge, and u can impress everyone by telling them you did it :)

Good Luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The treble strings take up to a week to stretch in properly, but I play mine enough that it makes more sense to change the whole set every time (every three months). In fact, I practiced so much for my last exam that the whole set was completely shot and I had a backup guitar in the exam room just in case a string on my main guitar let go.

I only got ball-end nylon strings once, and the ball ends on the bass strings were made of metal; so they didn't go anywhere near my guitar. No way.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

I've got an old classical guitar my granpie bought in korea during the war, I have noticed that the nylon strings dont loose their tone as easily either because there is no little grooves for "gunk" to build up in to kill the tone> Just give those suckers a wipe and they are good!

ReplyQuote