Skip to content
Any famous guitaris...

Notifications
Clear all

Any famous guitarists that learned to play late in life?

49 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
39.7 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

When I think famous it's not locally that doesn't count, I'm talking the average music fan, not even the average American cuz that would really cut the list down.

I mean guitar players that you could mention their name and just about anyone would know them. I know a bunch of really good guitar players from my area and the are real well known locally, but you can't call them famous since no one else outside of a 400 mile radius knows them.

The list that Note has above are for the most part all people that have been playing for years and have paid there dues they are by no means a list of older beginners making it big.

I know there are always exceptions but when was the last time a guitarist came up out of nowhere after just starting to play in his 30's and got the recognition of a Eddie van Halen, or Slash or Jimmy Page or anyone like that. I haven't seen one.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jeaukool)

Well, I have plenty of time because I am on dialysis with kidney failure. I started trying to play the guitar about 1 1/2 years ago. I knew a little about reading music before I started. I have been trying to teach myself using yousician.com and youtube videos. I just can't seem to get the hang of the harder chords and barre chords are so difficult for me. I tried and tried and tried but just can't get it. So if anyone thinks its never too old...well...maybe it its because this old dog is having trouble learning a new trick. I may have to try bass or maybe piano. I don't think they are going to be any easier either.....

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Mogan Freeman didn't get an acting gig until he was 35 and his first major role wasn't until he was in his 50s. Never give up.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Becoming famous means negotiating the music business . . . and that is not something an older person with responsibilities in their life will have the inclination to do.

Being successful is another matter. I know more than a few very successful guitarists who make a good living playing and teaching who didn't start until their 30s, and in one case, his 50s.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4