Clear all

Any opinions?

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been seriously looking at this guitar, maybe considering asking for it as a christmas gift or something, I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this guitar or guitars from the same company or website and could give me a bit more info about it, i can't really find reviews for it anywhere:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sh90na.html

Also too:

http://www.rondomusic.net/stl50.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/sst62rh.html

Steve-0

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm no expert but have been shopping for a new guitar as well.

From what I can read of it, it appears to have the quality of a guitar twice the price.

Have you gotten to play it or have any experience in reliable tunability or things such as that? I spent almost 4 hours today playing a wide variety of electrics from $200 to $700. The one I brought home to try for the weekend was a $500 model. The feel of the neck, the comfort while it's strapped on plays a big role in how long you "want" to play it. :)

It looks very nice for the price. I bet is sounds real nice accoustically.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately since it's online I can't try it out, which is why I wanted some opinions, but the fact that no-one yet has said that they are the worst guitars ever is definitely a plus :D .

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

bish, you might be thinking of the Agile guitars...check Harmony Central for the reviews on Douglas...If I remember correctly they aren't as good.

However if you can swing the extra $60 I would get the Agile AS-820 Semi-Hollow. Probably won't sound the same as the Douglas but Agile has a better reputation on this and other forums.

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Steve-O, if you're looking for a 335-copy hollow-body, you may want to look at the "Tone Tone Tone" thread. The discussion revolves around an Oscar Schmidt OE-30.

I have one, and I think it's a fantastic guitar for the money. I paid $149 from Musicians Friend.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

... or if you are willing to spend a bit over $300. Check out the Ibanez Artcore line for a 335 clone. Quality all the way, and I won't hesistate to mail order one, as they are extremely consistent in quality.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

... or if you are willing to spend a bit over $300. Check out the Ibanez Artcore line for a 335 clone. Quality all the way, and I won't hesistate to mail order one, as they are extremely consistent in quality.

I agree. The Artcores were on my short list. In the end, I cheaped out. I'm not disappointed though.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

The Ibanez Artcore series is a line of beautiful guitars. I've played quite a few of them at GC and as a hollowbody is on my gas list it will be an Artcore when the time comes. The price is very reasonable for the amount of guitar you get.

As for RondoMusic they are fairly well known, in New Jersey. I have a buddy at work who purchased a guitar for his son and felt he got pretty good value. I know that isn't much of a recommendation. You should check out EBay, under member name 'kurtzentmaier'. He is the guy that runs the EBay stuff for Rondo I guess. They have an EBay store. One negative comment in the last 12 months versus 3400 positives.

Just check on their return policy.

Link to EBay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rondo-Music-On-Line_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

Good luck !!!

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You should check out EBay, under member name 'kurtzentmaier'. He is the guy that runs the EBay stuff for Rondo I guess. They have an EBay store.

Just a thought...kurt charges more for shipping on his eBay store than he does directly from Rondo's site. Probably because of the eBay fees..

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Steve-O, I've seen that Douglas semihollowbody on Rondo's site. (It's not a hollowbody as the headline says.) Can't comment about it, other than to note that it's from a lower priced line made in China. I've got their Agile AS-820, a similar ES-335 knockoff also available with P-90s (which mine has.) Made in Korea, as are the other Agiles. I'm very happy with mine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

no one has mentioned this...you are looking a three really different guitars.
each has their own unique qualities in playing a style of music.

all three guitars are good. but one is better for a specific style of music.
the strat is fairly versitle but will not produce a good humbucker tone.
the tele is a working mans guitar. all around good thing. again, no humbuckers.

the holowbody has humbuckers. it is a good sounding ax. but you wont get a tele twang or a strat bell tone or spank.

my 2 cents.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

the hollowbody has humbuckers.Or P-90s, my favorite. You don't often find that option. Since Gibson brought out the ES-335 in 1958, the year after their humbuckers were introduced, those things have nearly always been built with humbuckers. A semihollowbody with P-90s is a distinctive and really cool sounding guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

The hollow-body sound is a combination of several factors. Most any modern production fascility is capable of producing ONE of those factors for a nice cheap price -- the body of the guitar.

But other things are: the quality and size of the strings and the quality of the electronics (including how they are mounted on the guitar body).

In a guitar under about $500 I've never found either to be really usable "as-is."

No matter if you're looking at this, a Washburn, an Artcore or whatever, plan on having to upgrade the strings to something like Thomastik-Infield 12's. Go for big fat strings to get the body vibrating. Light weight strings do not have the energy potential to make the body move, so the guitar will not perform at it's best.

Going to heavier guages all around will mean you'll need to do a setup -- with a floating bridge this can be a bit of a pain if you don't really know what you're doing, so figure in the cost of a few minutes of a good Luthier's time into your cost.

If you do lots of bends, with heavier strings you'll want a higher action, btw.

As for the electronics, again plan on spending some money to get quality sound. Even on the higher end "low cost" hollow-bodies, the electronics leave something to be desired. You'll find the pots to be noisy, the wires to be cheap, and the pickups are servicable to junk. Don't just replace the pickups!! In fact, on the guitars above about $300, the pickups might be just fine. Start with the wiring harness and pots -- inexpensive components there can degrade sound much more than most people realize.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Kingpatzer, that all sounds fine, but it's apparent that you haven't examined and played an Agile. Your criticisms of the electronics are simply inapplicable. Yes, it'll need heavier strings for my tonal tastes, but many players do like the sound of a set of 10s on an electric guitar, and the strings that shipped on it were good quality. With any guitar the setup needs to be revisited when string gauges are changed. The original setup was quite good on mine, with perfect intonation. I did raise the pickup height a bit, and I later switched the strings to 12s. What was especially nice on my AS-820 was the very nice fret job. The frets are level, smooth and well finished. The neck is of a nice smooth C-profile and feels good to play. It has nice Grover tuners. I have a good friend who's been a professional jazz guitarist for over 25 years who loves it. He's sat and played it for an hour at a time on several occasions, and especially praises the feel of its neck. He likes its tone for jazz with the P-90s, played through a clean amp. He'd put flatwound heavy strings on it for that use. He especially likes the feel of the neck. Another good friend is a blues guitarist who's played around the world for years. He also now works in a Fender store. He thinks this is a very nice guitar, and in fact borrowed and played it at a gig last year. (Along with some of his own nice guitars like his well-worn '62 Strat, his custom Tele and his late-'40s Gibson hollowbody.)

No, it's not a high-dollar guitar. But it's a mighty fine midrange one at an entry level price. A good bargain, IMO.
8)

ReplyQuote