Clear all

any suggestions? please

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@antny)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

heres the deal. i have played guitar for a few years now. trouble is i learned tunes first not theory or the fretboard so well. when i play with the radio i play the same damn pentatonic licks. trouble is i don't always follow the progression so well because i am playing kinda mindless so to speak. i mean people say it sounds good most of the time (not just noise) but to me it is more frustrating then satisfying because i dont really know what i am doing.

I know about theory. i know about stacking thirds, keys, parellel keys, intervals etc. i don't however know them and don't know how to organize my learning. trouble is when i pick up the guitar i just want to play so i find a song with a 3 or 4 chord progression in a guitar friendly key (think ocean size, or sympathy for the devil by janes addiction) and just freak out, get bored and stop playing.

I would be happy to put the guitar down and just study but i don't know how to organize this info. any good videos or books or any suggestions to aid my playing.

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

For books and videos, you can just check out amazon. The customer reviews are pretty accurate. You of coures could get a teacher (which would probably be best if you have enough clams).

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I commend you for learning guitar well even without theory. I'm not a very good guitar player but theory helps me lots of times to figure out what "works" and doesn't. I guarantee theory will help your playing. How to learn it? Often just sitting on the couch or with your guitar on your lap while reading. If you take 5 to 10 minutes of reading a day you'll learn quite a bit.

I have some theory sheets I could email to you if you'd like.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the suggestions. corbind i am always open to new material your offer is appreciated. my problem however is how to manipulate material into music. i have a couple scale books, and a couple of chord books. again i have a good understanding of concepts like building chords. my problem is making it musical and applying it to actual playing. i have so much scattered info i just don't know where to start.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Ah, I don't think I can help with the actual application of it to playing a song. So you do understand theory but just want to make it "polish" your music? Hmm, gonna have to wait for the more seasoned player to drop in on this one.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah i understand the fundamental logic behing it like raising a third lowering a third, triads, chordscales, but i don't know them on the fretboard. i need to do some memorization but i just can't seem to apply anything with any musicality. when i play in a major scale it just sounds like an excersize not music. when i play in a pentatonic i can shred... at least if there are'nt too many chord changes that is.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

What I'm reading is all about books and theory about how to play music . Music is not a written medium and certainly isn't a science . Maybe you need to listen to some music and learn something about the way it makes you FEEL !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote