Skip to content
Any tall guys that ...

Notifications
Clear all

Any tall guys that can offer me a bit of advice?

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello again!

I have a bit of a problem. I am 6'10" and the tallest guitar player I know. The only problem I have come across (other than early novice problems with my finger size), is that I can't find any guitar straps that are nearly long enough. When I bought my Fender Highway One last year, I bought the longest strap in the store, but it still isn't long enough. I don't want or need to sling it low, I like it at about my buckle, but these straps just aren't cutting it. The guitar only comes down to my stomach. Not only is it uncomfortable, it also looks very goofy. I am more interested in my sound than my appearance, but if I am jamming on stage, I don't want to look like a fool, either. I did a bit of a Google search for long straps, but they seem more like the same length as the one I have. Does anyone know of an extra long strap or a strap created for giants? Any help would be very appreciated!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

At least you're playing a Fender with the strap attaching to the upper horn. Many guitars of the Gibson/Epiphone line attach the strap behind the neck. With that setup you need another 4" or so of strap. Even though I'm only 6'1", just slightly taller than average, I feel your pain. Most straps are just long enough for me to use with a strat when let all the way out, and I even like to wear the guitar a little bit higher than most.

The longest strap I've found is a Guitar Center brand strap, it's a plain strip of leather with a plastic sliding adjustment buckle. (Avoid metal buckles, it's just one more thing to scratch the guitar.) It's the only strap I've found long enough to use with my Epi.

At your height you'll probably have to make your own.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I'm 6' 2", but the straps I have work fine for me, right at the wast. Since you are really tall, I agree with aliens, make your own.
You could even go to a leather craftsman and have him make you a really nice one.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Check the adverts in Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar magazines -- especially the latter. If you are willing to pay for a good strap, one of the premium makers will do a custom for you.

As far as playing position goes: If you're playin' well, nobody's gonna care about how high it's hangin'.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I think it's easiest to play with it hanging in front of my stomach, and I don't give a rat what anyone thinks.

In my old guitar store hangout (which closed a year ago), there was an extremely long strap that I was told was for a dobro. You play 'em flat, lap style, but bluegrass guys are weird and like to play 'em standing up. You might want to check into those straps.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've found the two and three inch thick Levi suede straps have some serious length to them.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm 6'3. I go for custom straps all the way. You pay more, but frankly, this is an area where you get what you pay for. A good fitting strap is worth it's weight in gold.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

I am 5'6 and had to shorten my straps because they are too long :lol:

Anyways, I would suggest you either get one custom made or make one yourself (like adding more material to another strap). If you cant do it yourself talk to your mom or girlfriend, or girlfriend's mom, or anyone you know who can sew.

You could even combine 2 straps together, or use half of another strap....just be creative.

Anyways good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got a whole back of very heavy vegetable tanned leather I've made a holster, several rifle slings and a couple of belts I wear from. Might just have to make myself a guitar strap one of these days...

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elderberry)
Eminent Member

I don't know what he did, but when I think of looooooooooong straps, I think Krist Novoselic, the bassist of Nirvana.

As can be seen, he was quite tall (reports range from betwixt 6' 6'' and 6' 8") and slung his bass waaaaaaay down there. He had to have done some extension to his straps.

King Harvest has surely come.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Well, I'm 6'7" and I have always had the same problem. I finally found a fat leather strap on MF that I actually have to use on a setting shorter than the longest... great strap that I could certainly wear well below my belt buckle. I forget the name of the strap... but if you look up straps on MF, you'll probably find it.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

A friend of mine (6'3") uses braided cord (think workboot type shoelaces) to extend his strap. He plays an acoustic-electric, and ties the cord around the headstock. So the bottom of the strap is on the base of the guitar, and the strap itself goes over his shoulder. Then the chord goes from there to the head, just below the middle tuners.

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm not tall, but I sling my guitar so low I have the same problem. I've got a leather strap that's two seperate pieces so that it can be adjusted, I've cheated and reconfigured it in a way it wasn't intended to squeeze an extra couple of inches out of it and it's just about comfortable. I've had it for years, been looking all that time for another one long enough so I don't have to keep swapping ti around and never found one that comes close :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote