Clear all

any tapping tips?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i have the basic technique down. pretty much a hammer on and a pull off.
but i want to know how to make it musical. how do i use it, are there any tips or exercises or anything?

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I don't have any off the top of my head, but look at scales, and then look at the scales in terms of 1 string instead of many. Since you can now access a wider range of frets on one string, you can play parts of scales all on one string, quickly, using a tapping method.

Just think of it as anything else. You're not changing the notes you're playing, you're just changing the way you play them. Instead of spreading over multiple strings you're playing them on one string if that makes any sense.

ReplyQuote
(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

Don't really know of any tips to give ya as I rarely use that technique. But I can say keep an open mind and try using your pick to tap with...some people prefer it rather than tucking the pick under the fingers and using fingertips to tap with. I know Joe Satriani likes that technique....wish I could sound like him though.

Start off with Pentatonic scales like, for instance, (using the high E string) use your 1st finger for the 12th fret, 3rd for the 15th, and tap on the 17th....that kind of thing.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There's always Nick's lesson on Eruption.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

have you tried "tap arpeggiated" chords? for example 1 - 3 - 5 (notes of scale, not frets) on a major scale is a major chord. then flat the third to make it minor, add to that by flatting the fifth to make it a diminished. move the the second chord of the major scale (notes 2, 4, 6) -- that's a minor. play with that and its variations and so on ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

You should also consider looking at some of Buckethead's lesson videos on YouTube. They're a little bizarre, but they'll give you good ideas as to where to start and what you can acomplish with tapping.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i have been using scales to work with it already. i sort of did that instinctively. the chord outline idea is a good one and i've started practicing it.
what i really am looking for is more complex musical ideas, and more interesting ways to use it.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i dont know much about it myself, although one day i will love to give it a try, but last months guitar technique magazine has about 50 different tapping ideas/concepts in it, with a helpful cd. however, it was last months copy (or maybe even july's).

anyway, good luck.
p.s if you do find some really useful resource, any chance of posting a link here? im sure lots of people, me included would be interested in giving it a look. thanks.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Here are a few interesting things you can do with tapping:

-Try tapped harmonics - tap on the fret 5,7,12 (others as well) above what your left hand is fretting. From there you can tap harmonics of chords and things like that.
-Bend a string up, then tap and release the bend - has a nice little effect.
-Tap, then slide your tap finger up or down the fretboard...i like to do that to end a tapping section

Just play around, and watch some videos of the greats to get some ideas! :)

ReplyQuote