Clear all

Anybody heard of....

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Since I started playing the guitar now my father wants to join the insanity and start playing the acoustic guitar. He has been looking at many guitars but, he found one today which he is probably going to buy in the next few days. I just wanted any opinions on the Guild GAD-40C. He loves the cutaway style and sound of this guitar. Has anyone had any experience with this brand or this specific model?? Just wanted to give him some feedback.

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

dude i would die to own a Guild...very nice guitars, great reputation...dont really think you can go wrong with one of those.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

very nice guitars, great reputation...dont really think you can go wrong with one of those.

What he said

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

yaaa, what they said, guild, great guitar.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I have two older American made (Rhode Island factory) Guilds. The company was bought out by Fender and the production moved to China. That said, the reviews of the Chinese production have been very positive.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

get the Guild and then be nice to your father. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for all of your responses. Wow, I have never heard of Guild before, I guess that they are a reputable company with decent guitars. I'll pass this info to my father. Once again thank you. The information on this site is fantastic. Almost every topic that comes up that I have had has been answered somewhere.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Are you serious?? Guild is now being made in China?? Seriously?? Wow!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

mmmmm guild (gargling sound)

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think there is still a Guild factory in the US....i saw in a catalog someone selling a MIA Guild (forget the model, but it's the "classic" model...D-55 or something?)...over $2000

but the rest are chinese these days.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

It's possible some of the more expensive models are still being made in Corona, CA. I should really check into it. The GAD series is definately Chinese. I just love these things, even if mine were two of the cheaper makes made near the end of the Westerly run, they're still solid great sounding instruments. I've tried to convince myself that the size is a bit large for me and I don't need two of them, but I just can't let them go. I know I'd regret it. The dreadnought especially, i's solid top has aged beautifully. They always had a good reputation as a workingman's guitar.
One thing I'm curious about, which if any of the newer series has the signature arched back?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member

I have one and love it. It is solid wood throughout. Spruce top, Mahgony back and sides... all solid. The nut and bridge are both made of bone and that guitar is a cannon. Mine is a pure dream to play and has a very mellow tone. I also have a Larrivee LV-03k, Seagull M6 and Yamaha 423-S.

The Guild gets the most play time. I have to admit the Larrivee sounds better but at three times the cost. My Larrivee sits in it's precious case so it won't get destroyed by my kids and the Guild hangs on the wall to pick up anytime.

When and if I ever need another guitar I'd go for the Guild GAD 50C. I like the brighter tone of the rosewood.

Go for it!!!

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

I have a Guild G37 and I love it. The best I can tell from the serial number is was made around 1981. I bought it used in '87 or '88. At the time I bought it, I didn't know jack about guitars and just wandered into Matt Umanov's in NYC, strummed the few chords I knew on a bunch of instruments in my price range and picked this one.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote