Skip to content
Anybody use D'Addar...

Notifications
Clear all

Anybody use D'Addarios' EXP classical strings?

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I bought some D'Addarios' EXP clasical strings today. I had some old GHS classical strings on. I was going to get some other strings,but decided on staying with a name that I know. I use the EXP's on my acoustics,so I figured that they would sound good on my Yamaha. Has anyone used the EXP's classical strings?

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Yeah I use them, I think they are great. My Ibanez acually came with them on the guitar when I bought it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

yep -- fine with them

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Personal opinion - I think D'Addario classical strings are hideously overrated; primarily by D'Addario themselves. I have a couple of sets here and I'll use them on my backup guitars as and when, but I wouldn't let them near my main concert guitar because they simply don't sound that great. Yes, I have tried D'Addario strings on my main guitar.

I was turned on to Hannabach classical strings by the guitar guys at Chappell of Bond Street, and I'd recommend them to anybody. I notice John Williams uses them too, although he uses the expensive ones and mixes treble and bass strings from their different sets. I can't afford to do that.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Alan's opinion means more than mine here. I'm only a casual classical guitar player; he's serious about it.

when I think high end strings, Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) usually gets consideration -- esp for jazz strings (flatwound). any opinion on their classical strings, Alan?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've never even heard of the brand that Alan is talking about, but when I go by strings, I don't usually look for high end stuff, I usually look for the lower end cheap stuff, but like gnease said, he's a pro. Myself, I'm just a hack LOL.

ReplyQuote
(@axissupersport)
Eminent Member

I don't own a classical guitar but I use D'Addario strings exclusively. I've tried Fender, GHS, DR's Ernieball, and several others and always go back to D'Addario's. I play in a very high profile show so I change strings before every show and can't remember the last time I broke one. Other's may say they don't like them but that's why they make so many different kinds.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

quote="axissupersport"]I play in a very high profile show so I change strings before every show and can't remember the last time I broke one.

I thought changing strings before every show was pretty bad to do since the strings don't have time to stretch and stay in tune, and you would have to be tuning the guitar ever 10 minutes from playing it.[

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I thought changing strings before every show was pretty bad to do since the strings don't have time to stretch and stay in tune, and you would have to be tuning the guitar ever 10 minutes from playing it.
It's something that most pros that I have encountered do (or have their roadie do for them). They change the strings a few hours before the show, then play for a few minutes, usually something with lots of bends and aggressive strumming, re-tune and park the guitar on a stand until just before show time.
The a quick re-tune before the show, and away you go.

Of course, my experience is based on steel strings. Nylon/gut players may do things differently.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Ah, okay, I noticed that Nylon strings (for me anyway) take about a week until they stay in tune after a few hours.

ReplyQuote
(@axissupersport)
Eminent Member

quote="axissupersport"]I play in a very high profile show so I change strings before every show and can't remember the last time I broke one.

I thought changing strings before every show was pretty bad to do since the strings don't have time to stretch and stay in tune, and you would have to be tuning the guitar ever 10 minutes from playing it.[

If we have a rehersal before the show I'll put the new ones on for rehersal and then leave them on for the show. If there's no rehersal I'll put them on ahead of time, stretch them, and then play for about a half hour or so until they settle in. You're right though, you don't want to go on stage with strings that aren't settled in.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ah, okay, I noticed that Nylon strings (for me anyway) take about a week until they stay in tune after a few hours.

Yep, for me too, and that's with them getting three or four hours' play each day.

Not tried the T-I strings, Greg. I shall go seek.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote