Skip to content
Anyone else get rea...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else get real nervous tuning their strings?

42 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member

It's a fear I just can't go over...when I hear that metal tightening sound I always imagine the string breaking and hitting in me in the eye.
Yes! That is the exact same fear I have. . .
Sometimes I'm glad I wear glasses
Yeah, me too.
But the worst thing is this: you bust a string somehow, so you go out and get new strings, and you put them on, only to bust one of the new ones putting it on. This has happened to me a few times, mainly with the high E string.
This is why I usually don't use different tunings. If I had two guitars, I would keep one in standard and the other in any other tunings I was working on.
But I don't restring my guitar that often because I feel I don't need to.

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I use different tunings and switch between them a fair bit, but I haven't broken a string tuning up in several years. Learned those tricks I mentioned above.

As for the tyre cages, back in the WWII period my dad was the Superintendent of Schools in Chilton County, Alabama. He was always fussing at the school bus mechanics to use the cages for inflating the bus tires. (That's how we spell 'em here.) They didn't like it, and thought it silly. One day, one of 'em was inflating a tire on a rim out of the cage. It popped off, and the tire, rim and all blasted out through the tin roof of the garage, leaving a gaping hole. The stunned mechanic was unhurt. They all started using the cage after that.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

One day, one of 'em was inflating a tire on a rim out of the cage. It popped off, and the tire, rim and all blasted out through the tin roof of the garage, leaving a gaping hole. The stunned mechanic was unhurt. They all started using the cage after that.

:shock:

Yes, we used to use the cage for all the bigger ones, particularly the truck ones with split rims. But I'm sure we had our slack moments too. :oops:

The lessons must have stuck though, I still automatically stand aside whenever practical.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One day, one of 'em was inflating a tire on a rim out of the cage. It popped off, and the tire, rim and all blasted out through the tin roof of the garage, leaving a gaping hole. The stunned mechanic was unhurt. They all started using the cage after that.

:shock:

Yes, we used to use the cage for all the bigger ones, particularly the truck ones with split rims. But I'm sure we had our slack moments too. :oops:

The lessons must have stuck though, I still automatically stand aside whenever practical.

You guys ever see a cage after one blew up? It's incredible the damage.

Back on topic, I've broken one while re-stringing a FR one time. Decided to take precautions with the angles, etc. Still, I should be using glasses I guess. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I've never broken a string on any guitar and I've been playing 2 years. When I first started I was nervous about tightening strings to pitch and having my guitar fall apart on me or something, but I think it goes away as time passes.

At least it did for me.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Funny thing about this thread. If you go to the accessories page of any guitar webstore or guitar catalouge they usually sell a gadget to chuck into your power drill. A power string winder. My first thought when I saw one of those for the first time was "whirrrr pop twang". Can't imagine anyone buying one of those to "save time".

1. Get new strings.
2. Sit down with guitar.
3. Remember to get power drill out of tool shed.
4. Walk back from shed to house for key to lock on tool shed.
5. Scratch your head inside tool shed trying to remember what you came here for.
6. Find out battery on cordless drill needs to be recharged. Waiting time, 1 hour.
7. Go back to house. Try and find string winding tool for drill.
8. Get new strings.
9. Sit down with guitar.
10. Set first string.
11. Bust first string by over tightening it with power string winding tool.
12. Curse.
13. Go to store for new set of strings.
14. Repeat steps 10 through 13 numerous times on different strings.
15. Finally string guitar.
16. Tell wife what a great purchase this power string winder was and how much time it saves you.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Chris , your outfit reminds me of ORCS in the lord of the rings :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I only get nervous tuning my strings when I'm onstage... :oops:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I have this fear too only when putting on new strings. I get to the high E string and I literally turn into a littly bunny rabbit. Somebody even aske me if I was managing when he noticed I was trying to tune the string with the guitar about a meter away from my face. After I've actually tuned it I almost always get stabbed by the bit sticking out at the tuning head. I've cut myself on that thing more than when playing with a butterfly-knife :twisted: (balisong)...and thats no joke...those strings are deadly. :shock:

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, I've drawn a lot of blood with those little nubs of string, too. But to put it in perspective, that's no different than what diabetics have to do to keep track of their blood sugar, sometimes four or more times a day. (Watched those B.B. King commercials?)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, I've drawn a lot of blood with those little nubs of string, too. But to put it in perspective, that's no different than what diabetics have to do to keep track of their blood sugar, sometimes four or more times a day. (Watched those B.B. King commercials?)
Oh yes, my grandmother lived with it for 40 years. It was weird how non-chalant she was about stabbing herself in the belly...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Wouldn't it be nice if strings were sold with a spare set of high E and B strings? They are always the ones that break! Im feeling it's a bit unfair to have to buy a whole set of strings every time I snap a E string (that is once a year or so).

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wouldn't it be nice if strings were sold with a spare set of high E and B strings? They are always the ones that break! Im feeling it's a bit unfair to have to buy a whole set of strings every time I snap a E string (that is once a year or so).

you do know you can buy single strings right?

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Well, no, I didn't know.
Where I live (in France), guitar shops only sell sets of strings (and nearly 3 times theUS/Canadian price) :(

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't get nervous anymore changing strings. I did in the beginning but not because of the strings themselves but because I was always afraid I would never get it back in tune. That was pre electronic tuners and I was not that good at tuning by ear.

Blind Lemon Pye - I just save the old set when I put new ones on so I always have a broken in string handy for if/when I break a string.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3