Skip to content
Anyone ever heard o...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone ever heard of "Chicago" LP copies?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A local music shop has one that I'm thinking about grabbing. The owner says that as far as he can tell it was probably made in Japan in the 70's, probably in the Tokai factory. It looks brand new. It's gourgeous and it's plays great. He recently put EMG pick ups in it and they sound great. He's asking $295 with HSC. Anyone heard of these before? Any information would be appreciated.

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

You know you're getting old when you see chicago lp copies and think they are the actual copies of chicago vinyl albums. :oops:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You know you're getting old when you see chicago lp copies and think they are the actual copies of chicago vinyl albums. :oops:

Sigh..... :? Same thought here! "Why copy LPs? Nobody plays them now do they.." Maybe it's because we do have a couple of those old Chicago vinyl LPs mouldering away on the shelf...Doh.... :wink:

But Chicago Les Paul copies... sorry.... don't know them.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Uh, huh - me too

A :-(

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Glad to see I wasn't the only one :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I haven't heard of "Chicago", but that doesn't say very much - the Japanese have had myriad names for copies of well-known gear. LP copiers that come to mind are Greco, Burny, Tokai and Gibson's own subsidiary, Orville. I seem to remember that Aria also had an LP copy, as well. On top of that there were many (of both good and not-so-good quality) that carried any name that sounded half way English - a precursor to modern day Japanese T-shirts, I guess.
Tokai guitars, from the 70's, are sought after, because they are reckoned to be as good, if not better than Gibsons. I would have thought that if Tokai had made other brands, to the same quality as their own, word would have got around and the others would be (almost) as sought after as Tokais.
However, that is all but irrelevant. If the guitar looks and sounds great and feels good in your hands, then all the reviews in the world won't (or shouldn't) change that. At that price, with HSC, I think it's probably a good deal, but don't let that stop you trying to wheedle some goodies out of them. ;)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the confusion everyone and thanks for the replys. I can tell you that, after spending the weekend with it, I'm in love. The thing sounds incredible. I only played it through a Roland Micro Cube but the sounds I was getting were amazing. Really deep, full tones and lots of "chunk" when I wanted it. Congratulations to the folks at EMG. These pick ups are amazing. My only reference for comparison is an Epi LP that I sold last year. This thing blows that away both in the way it sounds and in the way it feels. It's so much more comfortable. The action and playability of this thing blow away any other LP copies I've ever played. I'm used to my Strat which almost plays itself so I usually struggle with LP style guitars. However, I'm finding this one to be really comfortable. Plus, I can't get over how nice it looks. I'll try to get some pictures up if I can.

(By the way I still don't know what the heck it actually is, how old it is or where it comes from. I'll let you know if I ever find out.)

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Dont wish to sound mean but if thats the Chicago chinese special it probably only sounds good because you played an Epiphone before , the cheaper Epiphones suck .
Maybe of course that the EMGs will have drasticly changed the sound to an acceptible tone the original chicago / westfield pickups suck big time.
Standard Chicagos are not a quality guitar by any streatch of the imagination and the pickups usually have the inevitable cheap microphonic / squeal at any decent volumes .
If you are impressed now then you really will be blown away by a quality guitar .
The Chicago in the UK was just the same as a Chinese Westfield Les Paul copy supplied to third party suppliers for distribution with thier own monica usually being the 4500 model and were plentiful along with the Goulds and Staggs a shortwhile back at our car boot sales and cash convertor shops.

Bought and sold several as starter guitars and I personaly found the Jay tursers or Arias to be of higher quality / sound for a new starter but definately not a "stage performer" without pickup upgrade as a price guide the going rate in the UK for Chicago / Westfield / Stagg type are £79.00 cheapest for fixed neck and £59.00 up for the bolt on.

Reasonable bedroom fair though esp considering thier cost

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote