Skip to content
Anyone in the Melbo...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone in the Melbourne, Australia area?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I am going to be leaving for Australia in the next week, and I am going to be there for about 5 months. As you can guess, I am looking for a place to pickup a guitar for that time (5 months without a guitar? I don't think so!). I can't bring my electric (nor would I want to have to lug that and my amp around everywhere), so I would like to get one when I am there. I don't know if I would bring it back with me, or sell it before I leave, but that could be decided later.

So, first, if anyone is from around that area, do you have any suggestions of good shops to check out? Second, anyone have any suggestions on what type of guitar to get? I obviously can't go spending 500 dollars on a guitar that I am only going to have to have for 5 months (unless I somehow could get it back home). Acoustic? Electric? Amp? I have no idea. I am asking now so I can get right on it when I arrive - I made a few breakthroughs lately, and I want to keep practicing so I can get to that next level! :D

Thanks!!

(@beaner)
Estimable Member

The biggest retailer at the moment would be Billy Hyde Music and they have stores in most places. If you meant AU$500, then you are not going to get much beyond a starter pack.

Regards,
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Check out Brunswick St in Fitzroy - I'm sure you will anyway as it's one of the cooler areas. There is Frontier Music, Gallins Guitars and Manny's all along that street at least.

Allans Music in the city might be best for a budget new guitar though (along with Billy Hydes). They are the other biggest retailer in Australia.

Like Beaner said though, if you are looking to spend under AUD $500 (or even USD $500) you are in trouble. You could grab a starter pack or something. You're probably better off going for an acoustic coz then you won't need an amp and if you're travelling you can just take it with you and play it anywhere. Maybe a second hand shop would be the go.

There is an excellent Australian brand of guitars called Maton. Because they don't have the international name yet you get much better features and wood for the same price as a Martin or Taylor over here. Because they are made in Australia (actually in Melbourne - you should try and check out the factory) there is no import duty either, again lowering the price compared with Martins etc. Tommy Emmanuel uses Maton guitars so they must be pretty good! I own one myself - I was skeptical at first coz i wanted a Martin or Taylor but I tried it against the Martins/Taylors in the same price range here (AUD $3000) and it was by far a superior guitar. They make excellent cheaper guitars too, although probably around the AUD $700-800 if you can stretch to that....but if you can take it home with you it would be well worth it...speaking of....

....As far as getting it home, you shouldn't have any problems taking it with you if it's got a hard case. I travelled from San Fransisco to Vancouver>Tokyo>Sydney>Melbourne>Adelaide>Melbourne>Sydney with a brand new Tele along for the ride. Just put it in the oversize/fragile section at check in and cross your fingers.

Last word on Matons - they make a Mini Maton which I have tried in a shop in Sydney - they are great and have a really full sound, but have a smaller than usual body which is perfect for travelling (the fretboard is normal size). There is an Australian artist who's been around for ages called Diesel (not really my kind of music) who tried a Mini and now uses them almost exclusively to tour and record with. I think they are around AUD $800 maybe, maybe a bit more.....

Have fun in Oz!!

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replys guys! I will be sure to check those Matons out. Looked around for Brunswick St, and it didn't seem that far from my University. I think I will go for an acoustic, to try to save a bit of money, plus if I can get it home I will have an acoustic and electric. :D If anyone has more suggestions, love to hear them! Thanks a lot!

ReplyQuote