Skip to content
Anyone own a Gibson...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone own a Gibson ES-225 or ever heard one?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bb-bill)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone out there currently own a Gibson ES-225 or ever heard
one? I found one at a local guitar shop with two P90s and it sounds
and plays great!!!

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

There are some user reviews for that guitar here:

Harmony Central Gibson es-225

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

I am familiar with those. Some had two P90s and some had one. It is a thin single cutaway hollowbody. The cutaway is pointed. The very earliest ES-225s had that weird trapeze bridge/tailpiece combination. Later ones had a separate bridge and tailpiece.

ReplyQuote
(@jimdunk)
Eminent Member

I've never played one, but for a little bit of history, that model was made betwen '55-59. Also, the one-pickup model that hobsonator mentions was considered something of a dog. The single P90 was placed midway between the typical bridge and neck positions -- obviously most single pickups went at the neck position. Anyway, that single pickup model apparently didn't go over to big.

I just wanted to chime in because I'm a proud owner of a '53 Gibson L-50. It's an acoustic archtop, and like the ES-225 is not considered a particularly "collectible" (read valuable) guitar. Now, ask me if I care. I love the funky old thing.

I'd just say, if you like it, it sounds and plays good, and you can get it at a reasonable price -- go for it. It will be a good conversation starter.

Jim

Make Guitar Music

ReplyQuote