Skip to content
Are all Strat Fretb...

Notifications
Clear all

Are all Strat Fretboards the same width?

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@the-mo)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I'm one of those guys that's always dreamed of getting a US strat. I love the look, I love the tone, I love the history. I've finally saved enough to get one and feel that my current skill level merits the upgrade. So I've gone and tried a couple of US strats.

I've been really dissappointed because all three of the starts I tried feel very uncomfortable because the fretboard is wider than my current Yamaha Pacifica. The necks feel alot like my squier 51 (which never sees the light of day because I love my pacifica's thinner neck). I'm a blues player and my thumb is always wrapped around the neck (practically touching the low E) so its very important that the neck feels right.

I measured the width of my Pacifica (length of the nut) and its 40mm. All the specs I'm seeing on US strats are 42mm.

Is this the standard neck for all US strats? Or does it vary from one guitar to another? Any advice?

Cheers,

Mo

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hmmm. does neck Shape make a difference if neck width is always a problem?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Well me personally I think the Strat neck is way too round and thin, I like em wide and with space for me to manouver, maybe its just about getting used to it ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Well me personally I think the Strat neck is way too round and thin, I like em wide and with space for me to manouver, maybe its just about getting used to it ?

May be a case of getting used to it. I was that way with acoustics for ages until I got my Martin and Ibanez guitars. Got used to it pretty quick. Also, I couldn't play strats for ages because of the body shape. I was Les Paul through and hrough as far comfort went. But now they're my favourite guitars to play.* Go figure.

*I did kinda force myself to become comfortable with them on account of loving their sound. But now, LPs just feel so bulky.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

The 1-5/8 inch width or 43 mm seems to be the standard.
I had exactly the opposite problem.
I kind of researched replacement neck that would have wider string spacing.
They don't seem to exist . . . so I gave up on the idea.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

There are at least three different necks in the Strats according its shape. They call them "C", "V" and I don't remember exactly but I think it is "U". They use letters because the shape is similar to each one. The "C" shape is the more usual and the "U" is similar but bigger. The "V" is different to the other two. My Strat is an "V" and it is much more comfortable to me than the other two but there are people that hate it.

And there are also another issue and it is the radius. Usually Strats use 7.25" and 9.5". The Les Paul has 12" and probably it will be the radius in your Yamaha. "Shredders" guitars have even greater radius.

All these factors affect the neck and its feeling and probably they are most important than the 2 millimeters between both Yamaha and Strat neck widths.

I love the neck in my Strat but when I am playing it, I always remember the Les Paul neck. And vice versa.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

My ibanez has a 16 radius :D

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@c-e-g)

I had a thin U neck on an ESP... it was practically a rectangle.

:)

C.E.G.
http://www.cheapelectricguitarblog.com/

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The biggest neck that I played was on a Fender Telecaster Richie Kotzen signature. However, it was very comfortable!

ReplyQuote
(@mymindsok)

All Strats are not created the same!

I'd suggest that you visit severan different instrument dealers and play some guitars. The 60th An Strat has a modern thin neck, the MIM's are narrower and don't have any real shoulder, The EJ's are wide and have a rather pronounced shoulder, etc, etc.

My all time favorites are the EJ Strat (I've had two and both necks were nice and a very comfortable handfull.) and the 60th An. (Nice and fast! Whew!!) I'm currently looking for a Tele and I'll have an EJ style neck made for it. Best of both worlds!

Yoiu just have to find out what floats your boat.

Mymindsok

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I suppose there is a neck shape for every hand shap out there somewhere. Yep, different years, models, ect.. different shapes.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

The vintage, reproductions, Highway One's and artist's models that lean toward vintage are indeed 43 mm. at the nut, though you can never tell which way an Artist Model will spec out without checking. Others are 42 mm. such as the 60's and up, and the American Standard. Heel widths are a given, with consistency.

Yes Mexican or MIM strats will have less width for some reason as a rule, including the Classics, which is intentional.

Nobody mentioned Bonnie Raitt's, now out of production, whew, was it skinny, and now look at Mark Knopflers. 8)

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0117800815 #

Warmoth IMO has the biggest work-up or best choices and quality of necks that I have encountered, and also own.

They explain everything so well, and build top notch. Check this one, incredible 1 7/8" or a whopping 47.63mm.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/superwide_warmothpro.aspx

This link covers all 4 sizes which mimic or cover most applications.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Strat_WarmothPro.aspx

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yep. nope. what's this thread about?

ReplyQuote