Skip to content
Are your fingers lo...

Notifications
Clear all

Are your fingers longer on the fretting hand?

27 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@j-dawg)
Topic starter  

Is this something that happens? I've been playing guitar for about a year and I think all the stretching has made my fingers longer than they are on the other hand. The reason I'm asking is I told a buddy "hey check this out, my right hand fingers are longer than the left hand ones, cool beans!" and he looked at me like I just escaped from the looney house. We'll see who's the crazy one once I strangle him with my insanely long fingers!

Uh... what I mean is - am I convincing myself that the fingers are longer and they aren't or my brain are eyes work fine together and they are slightly longer?

(@whisperwind)

Ahaha. Right after reading this I had to check for myself...and what do you know? My left hand fingers are in fact a tiny bit longer. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with playing...I could be positioning my hands incorrectly...I don't think I am though...Anyone else?

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I don't know that my left fingers are longer, per se, but I do know that the span when I spread my fingers is a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches wider on my fretting hand than picking.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I must not be practicing enough, as mine are still about the same. :roll:

But maybe playing piano has kept them more equal.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Mine are definately longer on the fretting hand, by about 1/4 of an inch on every finger. I've noticed this before, and figured maybe it's because I'd started playing before I stopped growing... so the bones might have gotten longer in response to fretting.

But after reading this post, I checked carefully and decided that probably isn't true. The entire difference in the length of my fingers is in the first joint - if I line up the creases on the inside of the joints, they'll all match up... so now I figure the additional length is just the thicker skin that results from growing callus on the fingertips :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd seriously doubt if your fingers got longer after a year playing or for that matter after twenty years, I can't see how fretting notes would make your fingers grow in length. Now I could see how you could increase your stretch but that wouldn't be because your fingers grew.

Anyway if anyone has any real evidence I could be swayed.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, it's probably because you've worn the fingertips off of your picking hand.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

It's hard to say. It's difficult to tell if you've lined up your hands completely. What I do know is that my left hand fingers have an easier time moving independantly of one-another and can stretch further than my right hand. It also feels more natural to throw up the horns using my left hand than my right. Go figure.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I've been playing a little over two years. My fingers still seem to be the same lengths though callous has reshaped the tips on my left hand to where they do bulge out a little bit as Noteboat described.

The fingernails on my left hand have gotten a lot shorter but I suspect that may have to do with me cutting them....

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Now folks...using this logic...shouldn't Nolan Ryan's right arm have been about 2-3" longer than his left arm after 27 years in the majors alone, throwing 100 MPH fastballs ? :wink:

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Now folks...using this logic...shouldn't Nolan Ryan's right arm have been about 2-3" longer than his left arm after 27 years in the majors alone, throwing 100 MPH fastballs ? :wink:

How do we know it isn't? :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Nolan Ryan, That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. He was my hero when I was a little kid.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

my right hand is a gnarly hoof, so yeah.
fully extended fingers, no exaggeration. the bend to the right of my middle finger is more pronounced in better light.

my left hand for comparison

ReplyQuote
(@dazed_and_confused)
Eminent Member

He is my next door neighbor.... and I don't know if his right is longer than his left, but i do know he ocassionaly thows the paper back at the paper boy in a fit of rage and hits with surprising accuracy....

American by birth, Texan by GRACE OF GOD

There are two kinds of people in this world... THose who live in Texas and those who wish they lived in Texas.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

No, it's probably because you've worn the fingertips off of your picking hand.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2