Clear all

autoharp!!!???

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, due to some random calling deep in my brain, I bought a vintage Autoharp on ebay. It's a 60s Oscar Schmidt. It's in pretty good condition, save for old old strings, and I paid $31. I know strings for those are expensive, so I don't plan on changing them anytime soon. Maybe I'll have it in a few days!

Anyone have experience with these things? Advice or suggestions, perhaps? Just throwing it out there.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Limited experience, except when I was in kindergarden, the teacher used an autoharp to accompany us in song. We loved her!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

I've stumbled across autoharps over the years in places like schools or stores and each and every time I've had a blast and interesting to boot. Plus you have got to love that song in "A Mighty Wind"... :cry:

Now my interest is piqued--I am going to find one for me! Do they make 'em with pickups? Now you could get downright interesting with an autoharp and some effects or OD!

U2Bono269
Good buy, I think a new good one of these (like a school or church would buy) can go for $500 or more easily.

Peace,
Jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

My only personal experience is similar to Gnease's.

I did stumble across Mother Maybelle Carter playing one, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-VWyDNrQY

Does that add some "real musician" credibility to the thing? 8)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

+1 on the video, Kent.

I think we all had the same music teacher in grade school.
(Gnease was already advanced, he had her in kindergarten)
Tall thin woman, not much of a figure, right?

Bless Maybelle's heart.
She got to share the stage with her daughter and son-in-law.

Next generation of autoharps is going to be digital so grab 'em up while they're still manual transmittance.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

My only personal experience is similar to Gnease's.

I did stumble across Mother Maybelle Carter playing one, though

Does that add some "real musician" credibility to the thing? 8)

I'm with ken there on the video link. Great find, kent! That's what I'm talkin bout! Man you could do some pretty interesting things both rhythm and effects-wise. Like gnease I've always seen this in situations strummed as quarter notes (my niece for piano has a "family night" recital twice a year and I always play along with her on guitar and the autoharp shows up in several of the families everytime) for accompaniment; but I've never seen someone play it like Ms. carter there, switching chords mid-beat. Now I have to get one of those!

So far the only electric I can find is at Music Go Round for about $380 an Oscar Schmitt I believe. Maybe have to go looking on the dreaded 'bay for a used one...

Peace,
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's one odd instrument.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Kent: Wow -- nice video find!. Looked through a few of those Carter Family clips.

Dennis: Some might say the same about something like a Airline Map, Steinberger or Rich Bich electric.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Isn't that cool?
It's from a 2 DVD set of Johnny Cash's TV show from 1969/70
http://www.amazon.ca/Cash-Johnny-TV-Show-1969-1971/dp/B000TLMWMY/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b

A lot of great performances by everyone from Bob Dylan to Ray Charles, from Neil Diamond to Derek and the Dominoes (jamming with Carl Perkins), From Pete Seeger to Jerry Lee Lewis........
And Hosted by Kris Kristoferson

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

we had that teacher at our elementary school as well. :shock:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

awesome kent, I found an abbreviated copy on US Amazon for 11 bucks. It's already on the way!!!!

Peace
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool U2!
What a great find.
Looks like it could be a little rough on the strumming hand, though. :shock:
Maybe wear a gauntlet until you get the hang of it?
:)

Great vid, Kent. That band is smooooooooth.

Don

ReplyQuote