Clear all

Aww

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Aw, so I thought I had invented a really cool riff, turns out I must of head it from the Hole song "Celebrity Skin".. Has anyone else had this happen to them? You think you have created a cool riff, but actually you had just heard it, and copied it unknowingly? :?

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think just about every case of plagiarism will have that excuse in it somewhere. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

ALL THE TIME. Just the other day, I was playing a really cool solo over an A Mixolydian riff, and I realized I was playing the horn part of Lowrider!! It sounded completely different in that context, but the notes were the same.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
 Che
(@che)

I've came up with the riffs to Blitzkreig Bop and Lithium.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The classic Elmore James solo to "Dust My Broom" that every slide player learns is pretty similar to the opening of the "Woody Woodpecker" cartoon theme.

I doubt anybody ever comes up with a truly original riff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I came up with the riff from the white stripes "I'm bound to pack it up" a long time ago. I didnt know it though. I didnt think it was that cool though at the time, oh well. I dont even know if they were around back then, it was in my second year of playing so like 2001 or 2002 or something. i bet they were around then. Whatever.

Its just a D shape in the open position and then moved up to the fifth fret and then the seventh fret and back. Yeah.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

oddly enough, it's happened twice. I post stuff on guitarbattle.com sometimes and both times someone was like "that sounds like _______, that megadeth song" and it happened again. from a different person too :shock: . The odd thing is i dont even listen to megadeath, so maybe i should start, if i write in that style.

peace

love

hapiness

rock and roll

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Yeah, a while back I came up with a riff but found a few weeks later it was the riff just before the solo in Hit the Lights :?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I rewrote Hotel California one afternoon.

It's scary, especially if you listen to a lot of music (which I don't anymore) because even if you've never played the song in your life, it's in there somewhere. It even happened to George Harrison with My Sweet Lord and (I think) He's So Fine.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty unsympathetic to plagiarism claims.

I don't believe anybody can invent a new riff anymore. It's all been done one way or another.

A whole song would have to be copied in considerable detail to convince me there was anything to it. And if it's done in a notably different style I'd still be hard to convince.

Blues in particular is generic music. The old bluesmen copied everything, and there are only a few basic tunes and grooves. The tunes and lyrics are all interchangeable, and there's a long tradition of mix-and-match use of them that way.

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

There truly isn't an original chord progression. Take a look at the progressions in MoneyChords. It even tells you what songs use what progression - for instance, the I II IV I appeared in Eight Days A Week (Beatles), The Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy), and All Around The World (Oasis).

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They're limited enough that one of the Guitar Grimoire books lists all possible chord progressions in groups of 4, and a boatload of possible 12-bar ones.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I managed to write the solo to "Something" by the beatles into one of my songs by accident
It took me a long time to notice...

ReplyQuote
(@mr-mervyn)
Eminent Member

That`s part of my reason from staying away from theory... the other part is laziness but anyways it just seems to me that applying rules to music, however loosely, makes it repeat itself.

Cheers.

Better shred than dead.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's just like a would-be writer avoiding learning spelling or grammar and making sure he doesn't have a dictionary or thesaurus around. After all, applying rules to language, however loosely, makes it repeat itself.

ReplyQuote